I need help with my ph

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

justin85

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Birmingham,uk
Just did a test of my water in my empty cycled tank and the ph has gone right down which is a bad thing for me as I am planning on keeping cichlids. All through my fishless cycle my ph was stable at 7.5, it has been cycled for over a week now and I have my fish coming next Tuesday so I have time to sort this issue out. Here's the results of my water tests:

Ph: 6
Ammonia: -
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: -
KH: 200
GH: 0

As you can see my ph has dropped also I didn't get a reading on my GH, I did 2 tests same results.

So the only thing I have added to the water in the last week (apart from ammonia) is Tropic Marin pro cichlid mineral which is ment to keep the PH high and I was guessing the GH.

Any help any advice would be much appreceated as I have 10 cichlids coming in 1 week.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
by cichlids are you referring to African Cichlids?

justin85

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Birmingham,uk
Mbuna - Pseudotropheus saulosi only.

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
Whats your substrate? Crushed coral helps buffer, also I add baking soda, it bring my ph up to 7.6-7.8 np just add a teaspoon for every 5 gallons test and adjust, it works great for me good luck!

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I would just throw in some pieces of coral or texas holey rock. That would bring the pH up fast.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Some people mix crushed coral in their substrate (as suggested). In my tank, I added some crushed coral in a mesh bag and put it in a filter to prevent snail shell deterioration.

beepbeep

AC Members
Jul 5, 2012
yeah experiment with crushed coral like the others said.
trial and error the optimum amount to put till the pH settles around the value you want.

justin85

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Birmingham,uk
Thanks for your replys,

My substrate is fine Premium Silica Sand, I have a media bag of crushed coral in each filter already.

I did a large water change just now and when I was adding the water back in to the tank I was calculating the volume so it will be easier to add the bicarb/epson salt and TMC pro. So I left about 25L in the bottom of the tank and in the filters there is also 25L in total, so 50L left in the tank + filters, So I added 2 tsp of Bicarb and 2 tsp of Epson salt to start with. I have got 2x 25L water drums for my water changes so this makes it verry easy for me to add everything, so I then added 4x 25L drums and to each of them I added 1 tsp of each Bicarb and Epson salt. Does this sound about right ?

After the tank was full I added the TMC pro which following the instructions worked out as 7 1/2 spoons (it come with a spoon so im not 100% on the exact amount) And then topped up the ammonia to 4ppm.

I hope that i've done this right first time as it will save time and another water change!

I am going to do a test in a hour of all the paramiters and I will post the results

justin85

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Birmingham,uk
PH: 8.4
Ammonia: 4
Nitrite: 0.8
Nitrate: 10
KH: 180
GH: 160

Nitrite reading ! yuck!

Last edited: