DI stage horizontal vs vertical

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Someone once told me that horizontal uses up resin faster then vertical, I don't see exactly how that would be the case, other then possibly because the horizontal setups have smaller resin containers, any truth to what I heard?

Setting up a tank for a family member and I scored a NIB Purewaterclub 5 stage RODI off craigslist for $50, upgrading the hoses and connectors along with added a pressure gauge and inline TDS, want to know if I should add a single stage DI to my order as well.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Someone once told me that horizontal uses up resin faster then vertical, I don't see exactly how that would be the case, other then possibly because the horizontal setups have smaller resin containers, any truth to what I heard?

Setting up a tank for a family member and I scored a NIB Purewaterclub 5 stage RODI off craigslist for $50, upgrading the hoses and connectors along with added a pressure gauge and inline TDS, want to know if I should add a single stage DI to my order as well.
It isn't that they necessarily get exhausted more quickly, but because they are less efficient than vertical canisters. Horizontal canisters cause settling to occur and water to flow above and around the resin beads rather than force through it (since vertical canisters use gravity to do this). That's why RO water quality will decline and it is seemingly exhausted--it is actually just not utilizing it fully. The vertical canister is very worth it, if it is an option.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Excellent already ordered it anyway. Was going to run it as a dual DI system until the original DI stage is depleted then toss it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store