DIY Aquarium lids (not light hoods)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I need simple, CHEAP, lay on the top lids for some of my uncapped aquariums. It'd be nice if they could stand up to having a light hood over top if I want that option. I'm unsure if standard glass won't shatter due to heat.

Ideas please. I couldn't find other threads on this, so if I missed them, linking me would be helpful too.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Plastic light grid with a duct tape hinge.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Do you mean that egg crate stuff? It won't prevent the lights getting wet from condensation, or the rapid evaporation of the water in my tanks.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Clear corrugated plastic. Typically used for green houses. Check landscape places, hydroponics shops, green house suppliers.
A sign shop will stock yellow and white, and may be able to order clear for you.

For glass, go sliding. Many of the big box and some hardware stores sell a plastic trim piece shaped like the letter F. You cut it to fit inside the rim on the lip that most tanks have. The top of the F side down on the lib.
A dab of silicone or super glue or Gorilla Glue will hold it in place. The bottom piece of glass, or plastic, goes in the bottom channel. The top glass or plastic slides nicely on the middle of the F.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I have purchased allot of CL tanks without lids and usually would wait for a Petco $1 per gallon tank sale to get my glass lids for my 100+ Gal tanks. In fact my most recent tank a 220 gal 25X24X84 needs new glass lids which I will cut out of a new 20 Gal tall tank and then Gorilla-glue two 1/2"x1/2" PVC angle plastic tracks ($8) sections onto the center brace at the correct distance so that the new shorter glass lid panels can glide back and forth overlapping one another (two per-side) without falling into the tank. Overlapped glass lids do not require a hinge and prevents braking from dropping a lifted lid, my lids overlap and simply glide over one-another to open and require no lifting. Simple 24 inch plastic florescent tube fixture lighting can be had at WM for $15 and can be permanently mounted from a simple DIY plywood canopy, something I will also be making soon but in the mean tine my plastic lighting furniture simple rest atop my closed overlapping glass lids.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
How do you cut up aquarium glass at home? It's thick, isn't it? Looks much thicker than the panes at Home Depot.

If you don't have any, you could probably get some very cheap or free either posting on CL or the fish club website.
Nope. Even on broken aquariums, you can't find good deals. Everyone is asking too much for what they're selling.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I forgot to say thanks, this sounds like a very workable idea. Maybe I'm just over tired but I'm not really understanding what you mean with the F frame though.

Clear corrugated plastic. Typically used for green houses. Check landscape places, hydroponics shops, green house suppliers.
A sign shop will stock yellow and white, and may be able to order clear for you.

For glass, go sliding. Many of the big box and some hardware stores sell a plastic trim piece shaped like the letter F. You cut it to fit inside the rim on the lip that most tanks have. The top of the F side down on the lib.
A dab of silicone or super glue or Gorilla Glue will hold it in place. The bottom piece of glass, or plastic, goes in the bottom channel. The top glass or plastic slides nicely on the middle of the F.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store