Would these fish be ok in the same tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
So, right now I've got 4 cockatoo cichlids, and I'd like to get a pair of Krebensis. I also have some angelfish and gourami in the tank. Do you guys think they'll be ok? Its a 75 Gallon tank, so will the cockatoo cichlids and the Krebensis have enough space? Will the Krebensis try to nip my angels? The gouramis can pretty much fend for themselves. Let me know what you think!
Thanks!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I'm asking this, because I read that Kribensis can get a little nippy with them, but its a pretty big tank, so I want to know if they'll be ok with the angels and can share the bottom with the cockatoos.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I've never had any problems keeping kribs with other fish, until they spawn. If they spawn (and IME they spawn nearly as easily as convicts) a pair of kribs can be devastating to other fish that occupy the bottom reaches of the tank such as other cichlids and catfish. Won't likely kill the others outright, but will keep them penned up in one of the corners of the tank miserably. A large male may harass the cockatoos enough to kill them.

WYite

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
But he would do that only during breeding, right? I'm planning to move them to a different tank when that comes... so would that basically take care of the problem?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Once they pair up, they'll defend they're chosen territory, usually centered around a cave or sheltered overhang, even between spawns. They're not as aggressive 'bout it when they don't have fry swimming around, but they will breed consistently every three weeks or so once they've settled in. They'll pretty much always have fry about. If yer gonna move them to another tank and leave them there when they start spawning, then you'll be fine, but if yer thinking of moving them back and forth between spawns, you'll be lucky to hit it right each time and you'll likely disrupt any spawning with stress to the fish.

WYite

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
My idea was to let the actual spawing take place in the main tank, then scoop up the cave with the mother and eggs inside and put them in a refugium attached to the side of the tank. As soon as the fry are swimming, I'd move her back to the main tank. It seems like this would reduce stress because its the same water and like a 1 second transit time. Do you think that could work? My cockatoos also seem to typically hang out near the surface, and I have caves on either end of the about 5' tank.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
You know what, I think I'm going to try the fish, see if they can be nice, and when they get to breeding, I'll put the mom with her fry in the refugium, and move the male in there too, with a divider inbetween them, then go ahead and put him back in the main tank after a few days, when he'll hopefully be nicer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store