Single Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

otmmy

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Lethbridge,AB,Canada
Real Name
Tommy
Hello all so I have been looking fo r a new aquarium to put in my room. I plan on getting a 55 or a 75g(most likley 55g). So my question is there a single cichlid I could put in there? I know its a little small for most cichlids. Oh and If I do get a 75g do you think a single red devil would work in there?

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Ummm... I don't know about the red devil. But you could put a lot of dwarf cichlids in there! Cockatoo cichlids, Kribensis, and German Blue Rams are just a few. From what I've read, red devils are very aggressive, and will sometimes eat their other tank mates. If you really want to try it, it would be trial and error, and you may end with it being the only fish in the tank. If I were you, I would just stick with smaller, more peaceful cichlids. As I said though, if its the only fish in the tank, you'll be fine. Have fun!

otmmy

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Lethbridge,AB,Canada
Real Name
Tommy
So today I got a 55g. So any ideas for a single fish with lots of personallity cause think its to small for a red devil.

otmmy

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Lethbridge,AB,Canada
Real Name
Tommy
This site say's you can have one RD in a 55, bigger tank would be better, but still doable.
http://worldcichlids.com/fishprofiles/reddevil.html
I would rather have him in larger tank. But can anyone give me some info on salvini cichlids could I have one in there? But would still like something with personallity kinda like the red devil being really agressive, always watching the owner.

Last edited:

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
A 55 is adequate for an RD. IME, RDs tend to be shy and seek cover in smaller tanks, though. They don't show their best personality by themselves. And a 55 is too small to keep multiple fish large enough and tough enough to handle an RD's aggression.

Salvinis are tough fish with a fair amount of personality. 9" is the exception though, not the rule. Typically 5-7" is more common for an adult. To give ya an idea of their character, my 6" salvini in my 225 gallon tank won't back down from any of the other fish in there, even the 11" RD and the 12" redhead cichlid, the two dominant fish in the tank.

WYite

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
A single Parachromis loisellei. It might get 8" but 6" is more likely. Ime they're not as nasty as a dovii, but they're nasty enough!

otmmy

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Lethbridge,AB,Canada
Real Name
Tommy
A single Parachromis loisellei. It might get 8" but 6" is more likely. Ime they're not as nasty as a dovii, but they're nasty enough!
Wow I love the way this guy looks

wienerdog

AC Members
Jan 20, 2011
ALot of people are aginst these due to their being hybrids. However, I had one for years and he was an awesome fish. Gets pretty big so you must stick with the Short Body. Also, they are very tough and DO NOT get along very well with others. Like I said, I had one for years and they have tons of personality but I am emphasizing that they really shouldnt have tankmates. Though there are exceptions.
http://www.gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32416

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store