Is Paypal E-Check Reliable?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just sold a $400 camera to someone on a photo forum and he sent me an e-check through paypal. I must say, I've never received an e-check. Naturally, I am a little cautious. Are they as secure as normal paypal transfers? Can he take the money back once it is sent? I have heard that you don't need your account attached to an actual credit/debit card to send an e-check which makes me feel less secure. Am I paranoid?

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I would just make sure to get a delivery confirmation number and insurance/signature. I believe PayPal will side with you if you have proof the item was shipped/delivered. Make sure to not ship until PayPal clears the payment which takes over 5 or so days and the money is in your account.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Pretty sure an echeck is what you get when there's a specific way their payment info is entered. Could be because their bank account isn't confirmed or they don't have a card registered and only a bank account.

All I know for sure is back when I first started using PayPal I paid with an echeck multiple times and it was no problem. Came out of my bank account with no issues. So it isn't shady or anything. It might take 3 days to clear though (I feel like that's how it went when I paid that way, that it took a few days to process) so just make sure it clears

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
I would just make sure to get a delivery confirmation number and insurance/signature. I believe PayPal will side with you if you have proof the item was shipped/delivered. Make sure to not ship until PayPal clears the payment which takes over 5 or so days and the money is in your account.
Can't stress that enough.

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
With an item at $400, paypal might require signature confirmation along with delivery confirmation as proof of delivery. I know with ebay it's $250 and above. Considering paypal is a subsidiary of paypal, I wouldn't be surprised if their policy is similar.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
thanks much everyone!

Will wait to ship, and make sure to ship with DC and Insurance.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Do not ship till the check clears. I have received many e-checks and never had an issue. JUST WAIT TILL IT CLEARS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store