29g finally cycled, now what to put in it

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Hey everyone, I finally cycled my 29g tank and will be maintaining it with ammonia until I can actually stock it. I know I want to have guppies (already have one from another tank). I am on the fence about a dwarf flame gourami. I thought about dwarf crayfish but they are aggressive. So, does anyone have stocking they would do already having a guppy to be moved to that tank? Oh, filtration is an aqueon quiet flow 50 (250gph) and after the fish are done in qt I will move my aquaclear 30 (150gph) over as well.

I do want something on the bottom, so maybe a cory of some sort. I like pandas but they are a bit small. I do like catfish that look more like what you think about when you think catfish. Corys are cool, but it would be cooler to have something that looked like a normal catfish.

what would you do?

Thanks in advance!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hmmm... I really like Celestial Pearl Danios, and a miniature pleco. could be cool too. Just from expierence, be careful with the gourami, sometimes they can get extremely aggressive, and will terrorize a tank. I had to move mine, because he basically wouldn't willing let anyone else live in the same tank. Ooooh! A striped catfish could be really cool! They have extremely long wiskers, and are beautiful fish, just make sure that there are no places to hide, or you'll never see it!

eth0s

AC Members
Mar 28, 2012
Glowlight danios are very pretty...if you can stand them chasing each other around all day. I've not seen any violence in mine but they take turns playing follow the leader almost all day long. I used to worry they were going to wear themselves out...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

digitalphrage

oh god how did this get here i am n
So the first thought that came to mind was a madtom. They're not extremely common in the hobby, but I'm pretty sure you can get your hands on them. Only problem is, I'm sure your tank is about the minimum size you'd want to keep one in, and there's a chance it would eat your guppy (and any crustaceans like dwarf crays or shrimp). Unfortunately, I think most of the catfish species that look like the catfish we catch in local ponds around here all get too large for your tank and would be very aggressive about eating smaller tank mates.

I think corys are a good compromise (assuming you don't get some other wonderful suggestions). They're fun, active fish. Just make sure to get a good sized group of them. Personally I prefer the miniature cories, but fortunately for you, the larger species are nice and easy to acquire. If you're just not thrilled with cories, maybe try some loaches (just stay away from the clown loaches). They are on the small side for what I think you'd want, but I have a group of khulis and I like them a lot. They were very shy and reclusive for a few months after I got them, but they really put on a show once they get used to their new home.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
3 male guppies
6-8 habrosus or pygmy corys
12 cps

done.

:cheers:

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
black neons are a personal favorite of mine

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
also pygmy corries are awesome !!! look into them, you may have to find a lfs that carries them. if im not mistaken you live in suburban Chicago right? if you are anywhere near boling brook check out aquarium adventure. its a really big store, lots of fish, and can order things for you. probably wondering how i know about Chicago area fish stores and i live in cali? i actually live in chicago as well. yay dual residences !!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store