DWARF CICHLID TANK??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sharmz30

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Hey i have a 20 gallon long (29 gallon footprint) and am thinking of doing a dwarf cichlid tank. I do not want to do pairs because i know the cichlids become very territorial when spawning. I currently have 1 german blue ram and 1 kribensis. There are many caves and hiding spots and each have their own territory.
I was thinking of getting a bolivian ram, and then just having a small school of harlequins or neons.

My filtration is extremely high for the tank; i have a aquaclear 50 and a topfin 10. On top of that, i do water changes very frequently, every 2-3 days (25%).

Just wondering on your guys thoughts of the idea and if it`ll work?

Thanks

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Umm... I personally like it. You could also maybe put a cockatoo cichlid in there. I would also go with the harlequins in that case. Although, knowing how these fish are, I feel kinda bad for them, keeping them alone and all. But, I understand your reasons, and wish you the best luck!

sharmz30

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
yea i was also thinking of 1 apisto with it but wasn't too sure but how u were thinking the same thing is reassuring!
i get what you mean about how they should be together but i don't want to babysit the tank 24/7 especially if the kribs spawn because they can be vicious i heard.
thanks for the input tho!

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
1 german blue ram and 1 kribensis** either stay with west riverine or south american. and in a 20L, i wouldnt do no more then 2 dwarfs.. unless you did apistos, then you could do MAYBE 3 males.. but two dwarfs is enough for that tank.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Why not mix small West African and SA cichlids, livebearerfreak? Water parameters are close enough for both types of fish, and considering that they're likely captive bred, they'll most likely be fairly adaptable to a wider range of water parameters than WC fish. I've seen plenty of people mix 'em without any problems. As long as the fish aren't quarreling, there is no harm in it.

Sharmz, if yer having good luck with the combo now, I wouldn't worry 'bout the origin of the fish at this point.

The real issue here is the size of the tank. I do agree with limiting yourself to these two individuals in a 20 long. Ya might have got away with a third individual of a different species if ya would have added 'em all together, but I wouldn't disturb the peace at this point. A small school of harlequins or other smallish mid-swimming schooling fish would be fine. Ya could get away with a BN pleco of one kind or another as well. Definitely quarantine the new fish for several weeks before addin' 'em to the tank. IME, rams tend to stress a little with new arrivals and can become susceptible to disease at that point.

WYite

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
West african VS south americans. have different water conditions and needs. whether captive or tank raised. still shouldnt be mixed. i would stay with either ram ( and maybe add a few apistos ) or smaller africans. ( multi/kribs/anything that stays under 4 inches for a 20L ) and i wouldnt do more then 2. with apistos you may beable to do 3.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
No. The majority of both West African and SA cichlids come from generally soft, acidic waters. Ya wanna get down to the exact water parameters of any given biotope, there will be differences. But overall the water conditions and biotopes they inhabit in the wild are very similar. Kribs are an anomaly as they range from the soft acidic, upper waters through brackish coastal waters. They will do fine in either. Now, add that fish that have been captive raised in non-native waters, as both of these fish have been for many generations, become acclimated and nearly naturalized to those waters, the fish are much more adaptable to a wider range of water parameters than their WC cousins and will be quite fine in parameters varying a bit from their native waters. Now I can respect your opinion that the fish shouldn't be mixed, but it is far from fact. Obviously the ram and krib are doing quite well.

Now you're throwing multies in there, as well, which is an entirely different scenario. They are not West African, they are a lamprologine cichlid from Lake Tanganyika, and they will do much better in different water conditions, namely harder water with a higher pH. You've changed the condition ya initially argued to encompass a fish that is outside of the original parameters you stated, namely West African riverine cichlids. Multies are irrelevant to your initial statement as they are not a West African riverine cichlid, and adding them to the mix is a lame ad hoc argument.

IME, the only way I would wanna do three apistos in a 20 long is if you have a harem situation: a male and a coupla females. Even in the absence of females, males can be a little hard on each other. In addition, there is no need to limit a shellie tank to two individuals. A colony of eight to ten shell-dwelling, somewhat social multies in a 20 long makes for a very interesting set-up.

As it stands, sharmz's fish are doing fine in the tank as it is now, so why suggest that she break up the tank? If it ain't broke, and she's happy with it, don't fix it.

WYite

Last edited:

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I like it! I still don't see any issue with the apisto., as long as you keep up with maintenance, I truthfully think you'll be fine! But, if you feel like its a bad idea, go with your gut, but I think you'd be fine with it, and maybe a few harlequins. Oh well. If you like the tank, then don't change it! Oh, but I do like the harlequins, because they're kinda silvery, which may look really nice with the rest of the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store