sexing during mating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
I have a pair of angels which have been breeding for the last month or so. each being around 7 months old. I have yet to see any eggs not turn white and die. I was thinking that maybe I had two females, but when I got looking at the short amount of video I have I do not think that is the case. I took 2 freeze frames of the video, on of each of the fish. I was hoping some more trained eyes might see what I am missing. I realize the video is not in HD and may not prove much help, but any advice is better then none.
femal.jpg this is the fish I believe did the actual laying.(though I was at work when it happened) In this picture you can see the more rounded tubes.
male.jpg and in this screenshot you can barely see at all, but the tube that is there is more pointed leading me to believe that this is a male.
I realize that these pictures are not great and its still rather difficult to say, the video has a few other shots with both fish and the tubes really appear different. It is also AFTER the actual laying of the eggs, so I missed the so called magic hour...

femal.jpg male.jpg

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
Looks to me like you've got it right- girl on top, boy on bottom (pics). I had a pair for a time that never did fertilize a batch of eggs. I'm guessing it was the male's fault, he always seemed a little confused while she was devoted. Hopefully yours will figure it out.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
hmm. well I figured, I put them in a new set up devoted to breeding. If they cant get it done in the next batch I will try one of my other angels with my female.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store