LED bulbs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
So I have been trying to find the best solution to improve my lights and DIY LED seems like a reasonable option. dbosman has helped me narrow it down to what parts I should get on my budget ($100). Thank you for that.

I was about to start ordering stuff but I just saw these LED bulbs by Cree. 3x3W LED in each bulb, 500 lumens, 6000K. In my current canopy I have 4 fixtures for CFL's so all I would have to do is just screw them in. I checked and with 60 degree optics it would give me good coverage? My tank is 24" deep but with the amount of sand in there the lights will be sitting at about 25" from the substrate level.
Is it fair to compare those to 12 3W LEDs on the DIY kit? I read somewhere that its the right amount to cover 12"x36" footprint.

Question is will it give me medium level light? I have a lot of Java Fern in there now and it grows perfectly under my current abysmal 18W T8. There are also some crypts in there that are making a come back. only other thing I would want to add would be moss on the rocks and Dwarg Sag to hopefully have it carpet the whole substrate. So I am not asking for much I guess. :)

Are there better bulbs out there? And if so are they $10 each?

Please share your thoughts.

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
I did order them just to give them a try and they just got delivered. so bright its blinding. I will put them over the tank tonight and post pics so you can see.
I have a feeling I will have to find a way to dim them somehow.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Got to get me one of these! I don't know how they'll be for aquaria, but I just bet it's exactly what I've been looking for to overwinter my Sundews indoors!

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
I will find out soon enough I guess.

If these are indeed 3W LEDs and 6000K then how would they be different from DIY projects people are doing? I just had to try it.

pictures coming later tonight.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Look forward to pics. I know I have w led setup, but I supplement it with a t8 as well because my java fern and anubis started turning Brown.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
OK, so the bulbs are in. at least 3 of them since one of the sockets crapped out but I think its a major improvement over the 18W T8 I have in there now.
I realized I have to move the fixtures a bit to the front and probably to the middle from both sides.

First one is with the fluorescent light on and the second with LED (darker area over the java fern is where the fixture is missing)
IMG_8631.JPGIMG_8633.JPG

IMG_8631.JPG IMG_8633.JPG

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
yeah, I think its an improvement over the light I had. I do like the shimmer effect on the substrate. Time will tell but I am happy so far.

One thing I need to mention is that they do get a bit hot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store