Newbie! Help Please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jetstorm369

Registered Member
Jul 28, 2012
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I've always been interested in aquariums, and I do consider myself as a hobbyist. However, I've never really started my own aquarium until now.
So please guys, any help will be appreciated.

How do I start a new tank? I know I'm supposed to add my substrate first, and then water afterward right? And then add plants so that bacteria can culture? I'm so lost. Thanks guys!

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
Start with reading about the nitrogen cycle. there should be a sticky in the beginners forum.
If you don't start there, the rest will be an uphill battle!

Advice? Start with the largest tank you possibly can, even if it means waiting and saving a bit.
And the hard part- don't fill up that big new tank right away! Even after you've done all your research, take it slow. Pick one type of fish that you're really interested in, research compatibility and special needs, and start with that fish. Don't go to a petstore and buy whatever fish look good, or you are pretty much guaranteed trouble.
Welcome, and good luck!

Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jetstorm369

Registered Member
Jul 28, 2012
Actually, I'm pretty familiar with the nitrogen cycle. I even have a plan thought out. What are your guys opinions on this? I plan to have a planted aquarium with tiger barbs, MTS', and a pleco or two. Do you guys know if I can somehow get away with a crayfish in there? Will they eat my plants or the MTS'? Also, whats the best compatible fish for tiger barbs? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store