Light fixture for 40g breeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I'm looking at a light fixture for a 40g breeder but can't decide on which one to get. I would prefer one with a quiet fan as I do not want it to burst into flames. Been looking on Aquatraders and found this one: http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-4x39W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52324p.htm

Experience with this fixture or any other is appreciated. Of course I want a light that will grow plenty of algae in the tank, ballast lasts at least 2 years, and uses one outlet (only want to use a total of four outlets/plugs for this 40g). Was also thinking of Nova Extreme, AquaticLife, or Coralife brands but I'm looking at lights under $130. Is it worth it to invest in these light fixtures or just stick to the cheap work/clamp lights?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Well I have an aquatrader, its a bit over a year old. Price is great on them, downsides are cheapy reflectors but you'll run into that with most fixtures under $150 and since the 40b isn't that tall its tolerable, the LED lights end up burning out due to the wiring, I bought the saltwater fixture and the bulbs were horrible replaced them with in a month of getting it, don't know if the FW ones are any better. I also have a couple coralife fixtures I rate them higher but might not be the same ones your looking at, I got them used cheap but they retail for like $200 and $240, 24" x4 t5ho and 36" x4, but they also have 3 cords.

Is this going to be high tech planted? If so I'd say stick with T5HO's.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
No. Just looking for a light that will grow a lot of algae as it will be for my hillstream tank. Don't really care for the plants as I barely have any plants.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
If you are at all into DIY, it's pretty easy to build your own. I have a 40 breeder also, and that's what I did. You can buy 30" parabolic reflectors from amazon.com through thatpetplace.com, find a ballast that will run 2 39 watt T5HO bulbs. Then I used a piece of wood stained to match my decor and a 36" piece of galvanized steel ducting for the housing. I got a much better light fixture for $90. It's T5HO and has killer reflectors.

Then I used washers when I attached the reflectors so that they would be at the correct level when I put the end caps on.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Yea, I was also looking at a DIY fixture but am not very good at building/making stuff. Does the DIY light get hot? I was thinking to just buy a light fixture with a fan to be safe. Don't really care about the reflectors as I just need the light to grow enough algaefor the fish.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
The ballast is on the outside of the fixture, mounted ontop of the wood, so none of the heat gets trapped in the fixture, so the ballast is warm to the touch, but it never gets *hot*

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Hmm, I may have to do a DIY light fixture. Not in any hurry to build it though as it will be the last equipment I need for the tank. Thanks! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store