Bolivian Rams - do I have a pair?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
Hello,

I purchased these two about a week ago hoping I got a pair. Guy at the LFS was not helpful and at first they looked identical but now based on what I read they actually may be a pair.
Here is what I am going by:
Male has longer spikes on the dorsal fin, longer extensions of the caudal fin, and seems a bit stockier.

IMG_8595 by MSzuminski, on Flickr

IMG_8592 by MSzuminski, on Flickr

Female has 2 dots on the side (actually heard that in one of the youtube videos), and seems slimmer.

IMG_8594 by MSzuminski, on Flickr

IMG_8596 by MSzuminski, on Flickr

Or am I just imagining things?

Please help me out.

PS.
apologies for the dirty and scratched glass. amazing what you can see through the lens. ;)

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Beautiful fish, but extremely difficult to sex. I have males with 2 or more spots and non-trailing fins, so that doesn't always work. Males will usually be larger, but that's only helpful if they're from the same spawn. You may have to wait and see...

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Jannika. I guess I will wait and see then.

watching them sometimes they act like they could be courting and next thing you know they are fighting over food. they do stick together for the most part though.
I am not really worried about them spawning, although it would be cool.
if they were the same sex they would be OK as tankmates in the long run I hope.

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
Thanks again. So I might have lucked out after all.

The male is starting to be a D-Bag to the female lately. Especially during feeding. He chases her and she runs, but then turns around, stares him down and he swims away.
They are the coolest fish I have owned yet. Tons of personality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store