fish has a lump on one side

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spanky37

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
New York
Visit site
Hi everyone,
My gold fish "Spanky" has developed a lump on his right side. He seems to be swimming fine and eating. I have no idea what this is and don't know what I should do. Can anyone give me suggestions as to what this may be and how I should treat him? Please let me know.
Thanks again!!

missymoo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
a picture would help if you can post one

spanky37

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
New York
Visit site
Unfortunatly I can't send a photo. Do you have an idea of what it may be? His side isn't bloated like in dropsy. His side is swolen from the middle of his side to his gills. Sure hopw someone has an idea of what it is. Hope it isn't serious. Should I isolate him?

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
Tando-- At the risk of changing the thread topic, don't you think it would be a better idea to euthanize a sick fish before disposing of it? It's always been my understanding that was the law in most places.

spanky37

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
New York
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I understand what your saying about the flushing comment, but I tend to get way too attached to my fish. I would hate to see him suffer, but other than the lump he's still swimming and eating fine. We tried medicating the tank, I hope that works, and I hope the other fish don't get sick too. I think I will call the pet store and see what they say. I have a feeling your right and he probably won't make it, but right now I just want to try and see if I can do anything. As of last night he ate like a little pig and was swimming around with the other fish. But I did catch him laying on the bottom of the tank. As soon as I turned on the light he was back swimming with the other fish. I'll keep you updated and let you know if any of the meds works.
Thanks again!!

missymoo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
most humane way that i know of is the basin of water in the freezer ....fish goes into "natural" shutdown and then the water freezes around him and he dies

missymoo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
don't forget tho that fish deal with cold by shutting down and going into a hibernation ...especially cold water fish like goldfish are used to being under extreamly cold temps in the wild .... when they go into hibernation their systems shut down ... they really wouldn't feel anything when the final freeze came

spanky37

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
New York
Visit site
spanky update

Well, poor spanky is not doing so well. Everyone was right. I was told there was no hope and we have tried everything and his lump is getting bigger and he's spending more time at the bottom of the tank. He is still eating and when he sees us he starts swimming around w/the other fish. But I can tell he's getting worse. Any other ideas on what I should do?? I would hate to see him suffer. Please let me know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store