Shellie help needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I have 4 neolamprologus Multis in a 20g high right now. I started with 7, but after a few die offs, I have been left with 2 males and 2 females. I am having territory issues. One female and one male paired off and spawned a few weeks back and they have been continuously pushing the other two shellies to the end of the tank with no room. My biggest problem is the left out female. She gets bullied by all three out of a territory, so she is constantly being chased to the top corner of the tank. I tried putting a martini glass with shells in to help add some extra territory space, but the non paired male is chasing her out of that as well. I thought that being a colony, that these problems wouldn't be so severe? I have at least 25 shells in the tank. I'm cycling a 20L for them, but now I'm starting to doubt if it will even help?

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Maybe some rock work to break up the lines of sight? I know you have 25, but increase the number of shells, or break up the current placement, possibly with small densely packed shell islands with gaps in between.

I have 6 in a 10 and only have issues with one male (3m, 3f) being left out and spending most of his time in the ipper half of the tank. As long as my fry have shelter, I tend to do a bit of rearranging and shell unburying during water changes to keep the territory edges blurred.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Thanks for the reply! I will try putting some lava rocks in clusters to help break up the territories(It never crossed my mind tbh) because its pretty much just bare with just shells and sand.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla

Does this look right? Don't mind the algae, its a constant battle lol

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I would increase the colony size to 10 and put them all in the 20 long at the same time. Add more shells as well to complete at least 3 shells per fish. IMO, you shouldn't have any serious issue doing this.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I would add those extra shells without the martini glass; just put them in the tank's substrate. Also, I would make a pile in the center with those rocks and divide half the amount of shells for each side of the rock pile.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I actually counted and I had 32 shells, I normally go to my local southern ag to get free shells. So I will be able to get that many shells in a short time. I heard that shellies won't accept any new fish to the colony once they are established, is that why you said to put them all in at once? Thanks for your help on the matter!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
20 high is not a big footprint like a 20 long would be so if they outed the female the best thing to do is remove her and let the colony start their numbers or she will end up KIA if you add any new Multi's they will be perceived as a threat and the same treatment will happen, FYI my 50+ colony in my 120gal still fight from time to time and the outed member will be pushed to the rock pile on the other side til they allow it to come back in.. Typical Multi aggression..

Efors is correct add as many shells as possible and create a bigger pile of rocks in the middle..

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
If I have to worry about the new additions getting killed or rejected, then how should I get new blood in?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
You don't unless you upgrade to a new bigger tank with a lot more footprint than a standard 20gal high so that the new fish can escape the aggression and you should not have to worry about new blood so to say unless you are trying to duplicate the ultimate Multi.. Unless you received poor specimens.. But four Multi's 2 males and 2 females should be able to reproduce a nice size colony.. You should be fine have fun and enjoy your fish..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store