Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sunnybailey96

Registered Member
Jul 31, 2012
Hey everyone I am new here and have never done this posting thing before....I currently have 40 gal freshwater tank with christmas fulus...chilids from lake victoria and or maui...anyway I realy need to know how to care for this tank, I want to make it condusive for successful breeding, I have 3 females and 1 male. and a few snails. I have gravel in my tank. I do 30 percent water changes about twice a month.
Can you please advise me on testing the water and what are exceptable levels of amonya and nitrates
and maybe give me a link to go to for maintaining a freshwater tank...Thanks In Advance:eek:mg:

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Target both ammonia and nitrites at 0 ppm. Both are quickly lethal at low doses, and may leave long term damage even if the fish survives.

Ya may get varying opinions/suggestions on nitrates. In fact, the printed literature isn't consistent on the topic. Generally speaking, above 20 ppm is dangerous long term, and most people I know (myself included) will tell ya keep the nitrates at 10 ppm or lower.

Nitrate sensitivity is also species-specific. Trout can die in less than four days at 2.5 ppm, while the medaka has been documented living and reproducing at 75 ppm long term with no ill effects. The actual threshold of sensitivity for most aquarium species isn't known or at least not easily found in the literature. Long term exposure to excess nitrates will stunt growth and retard reproductive ability even if it doesn't kill the fish, so the lower the better. The only way to remove nitrates is through water changes, so if the nitrate concentration increases, increase the frequency and volume of your water changes.

WYite

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I agree... and if you have only one tank, why not doing the 30% water change weekly? Put rocks in the tank to create hiding places for the females if the male gets too rough with them. The pH should be between 7.5 and 8.0 . Welcome to AC!

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
I have fulus too! Fun little guys. They like a sand substrate, very fine gravel will work. The male needs to be able to dig a courtship pit. Above posters are totally correct about the Ph, rocks and caves, and need for clean water.
What is the gender distribution? In a tank that size, you should only have 1 male. Territory aggression will distract the dominant male, and stress any subordinates.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
The OP stated that they have 3 females and 1 male should be perfect for a 40gal i too agree with 10ppm on Nitrate and 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrite, buy a good liquid test kit and you should get accurate test results.. Do not rely on test strips they are never correct or reliable..

Welcome to AC..

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
In my opinion, it would be best to do a 1/4, 1/4, 3/4 water change on that tank. So, for two weeks every weekend, or whenever you clean your tanks, do 1/4 water change on the tank, then the third week do a 3/4 water change. It keeps the tank in tip-top shape without stressing the fish. I know that people always tell you, don't change more than half the tank water, but if you keep the tank water almost perfect, which isn't in the least bit difficult, you know no ammonia, no nitrites, and very low nitrates, the fish are fine with it. I've never had any issues.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I have to agree water changes are perfectly fine everyday and studies have shown that a constant water change all day long benefits growth rate and overall health..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store