Festivum not eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Goldiefinn

AC Members
May 11, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I have a 75 gallon freshwater tank, containing a school of black skirt tetras, a bristlenose plec, a large gold severum (approx 8") and a Festivum (approx 5"). I've had this tank up and running since february, and the fish have always seemed healthy and got along fine.

For the past week and a half or so, the Festivum hasn't been interested in food. He just lingers near the bottom or back of the tank while the others eat. Even if I put food infront of him (flakes or sinking cichlid pellets) he doesn't even go for them.

There are no physical symptoms on the Festivum -- he looks fine. He just isn't eating (and he used to LOVE to eat!) and he lingers on his own a lot.

There is no aggression in the tank -- the large Severum is very mellow, so he isn't being harrassed.

All the other fish seem as happy as usual -- it's just the Festivum.

Any ideas what's wrong with him? I did some research and seems it could be constipation? I'm just not sure what treatment to start with, as he's going to starve soon. I read that an epsom salts bath might work for constipation, and wondered if anyone's tried that?

I do have a 10 gallon quarantine tank I can put him in, but it isn't set up yet -- til I know what treatment to try.

Thanks!

Goldiefinn

AC Members
May 11, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Oh I also want to add that I recently added an aerator -- bubble wand at one side of the tank. Would that be enough to freak the Festivum out to not eat?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
peas should help with constipation. i would boil a couple of them deshell them and then dip them in som garlic juice (i bought mine at a fish store).

Goldiefinn

AC Members
May 11, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Good idea, but he won't eat anything.... has anyone tried an Epsom Salts bath?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you can try epsom salt bath or dip.. epsoms salts are a natural laxative.
but there are other things that can cause a fish to not eat.

you may want to look for signs of internal parasites..they are pretty common in cichlids(actually many fish).

I generally will treat any new additions to my tanks with a course of anti parasite meds

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store