New setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
So pretty sure my female jag is going to die, two questions, 1 can I keep a peacock bass with a male jag? 2 if I choose to keep just the male jag whats the best tank setup? Ps 200 gallon tank

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Umm... it kinda looks like no one here actually knows. Which, someone might, I'm just saying... You may have better luck googling the compatibility of the two fish, and then go from there.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
A peacock bass is gonna outgrow a 200 gallon tank in no time. The only species I know that doesn't get 2'+ is C. kelberi, and the last time I saw them they were runnin' $100.00+ apiece from Rapps. At that price, I wouldn't risk one with an aggressive jag. :)

Tankmates I've kept with jags are redhead cichlids, oscars, RDs, midas cichlids, blackbelt cichlids, and larger pleco species.

Not sure what ya mean in yer 2nd question...

WYite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I have, but my tank is a 180 with 30 other types of cichlids. I even had a 4 inch flowerhorn for awhile.
I've played with crowding large SA/CA cichlids to reduce aggression, and it does work. Many of the Amphilophus species in the Nicaraguan Great Lakes actually live in communities around rock reefs not unlike those we picture for typical Rift Valley Lakes, and a gentleman on another forum I frequent has had great success with Amphilophus and Paratheraps spp. with the technique. The problems are having a tank large enough to accomplish this and the amount of maintenance required to still allow for proper growth of the fish involved and the overall health of the fish. Most of the fish we're talkin' 'bout are two to three times the length of the typical mbuna and have a much, much greater body mass.

What species do ya have in there now? If they're bigger species like I mentioned above, you'll likely hafta do some major culling at some point in the future with 30 fish in there. My 225 currently has one 11" red devil, one 9" blackbelt cichlid, one 12" redhead cichlid, three oscars at 10", 12" and 13", six Amphilophus zaliosus/midas hybrids from 8"-10", one 6" salvini, one 13" Leporinus fasciatus, two 10" four-line pictus cats, and two plecos at 12" and 15". I have 1050 gph of filtration from canister filters and another 1400 gph from HOBs. I do a 50% water change twice a week. All the fish are healthy, they're still growing (surprisingly for some, as they were rescues that had suffered from poor conditions prior to my acquisition), and aggression is minor and distributed between all the fish in the tank. I've been following this regimen for almost three years now, and it takes some serious commitment to make sure the fish stay healthy. I can't imagine doubling the number of fish in there and honestly don't think I could pull it off, even by increasing the frequency of water changes. There comes a point where a tank is overstocked so badly that it can't be maintained successfully.

WYite

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store