Jaguar cichlid tank mates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
Alone male jag in a 200 gallon looking for some tank,mates

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
How big is he, and how long has he been by himself? I don't know how well your Jag would do with them, but I like to keep giant danios with my JD so far. I haven't lost a single danio yet (aside from a jumper) in a 125 with a 6-7" Dempsey. They're pretty big, and are fast enough to get away from him easily.

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
Hes 5inches, not full alone yet, has his ole lady who isnt doing so hot if she passes I want to get tank mates

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
She pulled threw, almost died, im adding target fish to keep him from always going after her prolly going to add tinfoil barbs

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I've kept Jack Dempseys, Black Belts, Loisellei's, Wolf Fish, Convicts and Chalceus with my Jag in the past with pretty much no problems. Things were different when he was in a grow out tank - he would kill anything you put in with him but once he was placed in a big tank his aggression went down....a little.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Yea it depends on the Jag's personality though in the end. I had my Jag who I thought needed tank mates so I bought some oscars. Well I put 3 of which one was smaller then him by an inch the other was his exact size and the third being slightly bigger. Well he managed to kill one and beat the other two to the brink. He never excepted any tanks mates. Also Giant Danios would work if there full grown at his current size but when he gets bigger I highly doubt they will last. Jags are very fast due to the more torpedo shape unlike a JD and a way bigger mouth. A school of Silver dollars could work. Just make sure there bigger then the Jag is right now. Tinfoil barbs may work as well just keep in mind there eventual adult size.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Like others have said, it's kinda hit or miss with cichlids as they all have different personalities. That said, you have to keep aggressive fish with aggressive fish. If one fish shows weakness it will get nipped to death in no time. You have a better chance of success if you grown everything in the tank from a young age. That said, in a 200 gallon you have a fair chance of keeping some aggressive fish together. Just make sure you put some hiding spots. Also, remember, you can keep big plecos with just about anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store