Glass Aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
Been bouncing around and lately alot of tanks have been failing. So I gave mine a good looking over and notice something about it. The edges aren't perfectly flush. If you have a glass tank, check out the edges where the glass meets up and let me know if its perfectly flush, or there's a little over hang, enough to catch a finger nail etc. Thanks - N

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Was it from the $1 per gallon sale? most of the tanks in that sale have very slight issues that dont change the retaining ability, but rather the looks. I really looked hard at mine after I got it home and there are a couple small issues with it, but they wont cause it to fail early or anything.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
This is called being "edge in". All aquariums are assembled by hand and there are always some inconsistencies when the glass is stood. It's not unusual.

I can say for sure that the tanks in the $1 per gallon sale are not any different from tanks made any other time of the year.
Andy

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It comes down to cost. The level of fit and finish on a mass produced tank from one of the large manufacturers isn't up to that on say an ADA tank, but it's strictly a cosmetic issue based on striking a balance between "perfection" and utility at the most profitable price. Premium tanks like ADA or quality custom makers turn out which have the extra care put in to get as close to "perfection" as possible will cost you several times the $ per gallon of a mass produced tank of equal dimensions.

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
Was it from the $1 per gallon sale? most of the tanks in that sale have very slight issues that dont change the retaining ability, but rather the looks. I really looked hard at mine after I got it home and there are a couple small issues with it, but they wont cause it to fail early or anything.
It's a craigslist deal so I have no idea where it originated from. I've asked in a few other forums and the general consensus is the same as everyone here is saying. So hopefully it won't become a problem. So far it's held up 3+ years just since I got it. Thanks guys - N

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I have purchased 8 CL tanks over the years and most of the older although small factory made (not home-made) are hand fitted. It seems like for the older tanks (15+ years old) that such things like unfinished edges, overhang, and wavy glass tend to be more prevalent in the small mom-pop operations while the old but larger companies such as Oceanic paid allot of attention to detail. But none of the fit & finish flaws I have seen in these tanks has ever compromised safety or effectiveness especially if you take the time to do an inside reseal on an older tank with light brown trim. Most of the newer tanks that use injection molded black frames use slightly thinner glass relative to the required size thickness because the black injected molded frame provides more then just decoration and provides some support especially in the assembly line process where they are used as jig's to hold the panels together while silicone is allied by machine. This means that the glass in these newer tanks must be more dimensional consistent. Point is I wouldn't worry too much about older (brown trim) tank glass other then that its the right thickness for size, no cracks, and that you invest now rather then later in a complete inside only silicone reseal which includes the top rim-trim.

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
It has black trim. The silicone looks good, not dried out, no little chunks missing, just the glass isn't perfectly flush at the ends. I'm thinking I'll just keep on keeping on and get up to a 125 asap and hope for the best :) - N

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
Actually now that I'm thinking, do you know what year the switch from brown to black took place? Was it a quick switch over or a gradual company by company thing? - N

tarquin375

thats no moon, it's a space station
Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
All of my glass tanks have had uneven corner edges. My 75g is a Perfecto, two of the corners are PERFECT, one is off a little and the fourth is visually uneven. This is the tank currently filled.

I used to have a 55g AGA and all of it's corners were off, one just ever so slightly, one not bad, and two way off. I sold this tank to purchase the 75g. (The trim on the 75 is MUCH nicer than that of the 55, although it is a bit larger, covers just a bit more of the viewing area, but not bad.)

I also have three more, a 20gH, 20gXH and a 20gL. not sure of the brands of all of them, but none of them have four perfectly even corners. The 20gH I just picked up for $10 on a free classifides site, it has oak trim and none of the corners are perfect. Three are pretty close and one is off a good bit. The 20gXH has has four uniform corners, uniformly uneven..lol. They are REALLY close, but not quite. The 20L is the same and the 20H, pretty much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store