hey folks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MigoX

AC Members
Aug 2, 2012
Florida
Im brand new to the forum and would like to say hello. I'm 30 years old . My girlfriend and our little 9yr old have 55 gal terrarium with yellow belly turtle, 4 goldfish, a pleko, red-tailed shark, baby walking catfish, and little crab. Everyone in the tank seems very happy! And water tests are astaonishingly awesome! The tank has been running running about 4 months. I also have a nifty 5.5 gal tank that I'm taking special care of that's relatively new.

We've all been hooked by this new hobby and discover something new and exciting about our aquatic friends on a daily basis.

Looking forward to more learning and enjoyment!

Thanks

MigoX

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

MigoX

AC Members
Aug 2, 2012
Florida
In the 5.5 I have a Calico Telescope Goldfish, Black Moor, and Oranda. I've got a great filter on the tank and thriving plant life/aquarium wood. -even a little LED strip in the rear of the tank. I can attach an air-pump in order to utilize it's air-bubble wall capabilities of the LED strip but haven't done so yet. All in due time. :) How does that sound? I'll attach a pic when i can get a good one.

I'm looking forward to the day that I'll transfer these fish into a larger tank!

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
Howdy! I do hope you plan to move the goldies soon. Around here, most will say for the fancy goldfish you need 40g at minimum, many would say more. I know that sounds like a LOT, especially when they're small, but when I upgraded my goldfish I was SHOCKED how fast he grew and how much more active and interesting he became. Plus the planted 5.5g just screams shrimp tank.. Lol.
I'd like top hear more about this terrarium? it sounds pretty cool, are the turtle and goldfish okay together? I would wonder about temperature needs, water quality, predation.. I'm curious!

Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MigoX

AC Members
Aug 2, 2012
Florida
Yes, the fancy goldfish will be transferred to a large tank when i find the right one for the right price.

When we first started the 55gl tank it was only the turtle. After about a week or two the we added 4 goldfish. 3 orange and 1 white. The turtle was able to catch and eat the three orange goldfish but the white one kept its own and escaped each of the turtle's attempts at catching it. Cinco the turtle, who we named because we got him on the 5th of may, eventually gave up on catching him.

Months have gone by and since the beginning we have added 3 new orange goldfish which have followed the white's lead and kept out of harms way. (we have nick-named the white goldfish "The Don") The group has learned to live in harmony, swimming, teasing and eating together and sometimes even stealing each others food. The turtle will sometimes even get a nip from the goldfish if it gets in their way of feeding etc.. We find them all (turtle and goldfish) all ganged up together like a bunch of high-schoolers just hangin) We keep the water levels tested/maintained and clean. We have the correct lighting for the turtle and a heat lamp above a landing for him to bask in. -

We have even moved a red-tailed shark from a different tank, where it had turned from a black body to a clear white due to stress, to the terrarium. Since moving him to the terrarium he has regained his coloring on his body and tail. He likes to hang out with the goldfish as well as hunt the bottom for num nums.

How about that?

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
Fascinating :) pictures would be cool too. I really love turtles but haven't ever tried to keep any...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store