Replacing my XP3 with 2 Eheim 2217's. How should I setup 2 canisters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hybridd23

AC Members
Oct 18, 2007
Framingham, MA
I think it's about time to get some new filters for my 75 gallon tank. The XP3 has been awesome for 5 years, but I'm scared it might just start leak after water came out of the hole where the power plug comes out. I added some lubrication to the O-rings and it stopped the leak, but it's probably just a patch to a bigger problem.

I heard Eheim 2217's are great. I've never had 2 filters in a tank before. What's the best way to setup the intake and outtake tubes? For example, both outtakes on the opposite ends of the tank and intakes in the middle or is there a better setup?

Any input is welcome!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
With my hobs I generally set them as far to the sides as a I can. I wouldn't know how to go about it with canisters, but one for each side sounds about right. I hear a whole bunch about canisters leaking which is why I've never gone for them myself.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
With my hobs I generally set them as far to the sides as a I can. I wouldn't know how to go about it with canisters, but one for each side sounds about right. I hear a whole bunch about canisters leaking which is why I've never gone for them myself.
Only once has mine leaked in 6months and it was down to my stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I use one to point upwards and create surface agitation and the other to be directed to provide an even current in the tank, mine is angled against the glass ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Set up and positioning may need to be varied depending on fish and decor....If you need more of a river current flow, both intakes and both suctions would be on opposite ends...

hybridd23

AC Members
Oct 18, 2007
Framingham, MA
Thanks for all the input guys! I finished setting up the 2 filters today and the flow is perfect. Both intakes and outtakes are on opposite sides.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store