Lost a bristlenose :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
Had my first death of a prized fish. Had bought a juvenile standard black bristlenose a few months back. I actually bought two. A common and a calico/piebald juvie. This week for seemingly no reason, i noticed the black guy's eyes were popped a bit. I thought it may have been my imaginaton so i let it go for a couple days so i could observe and figure out a suitable QT tank for him/her. So last night i set up a QT, grabbed my Toms off the 46gal (his home until now), put in a heater and some wood and woke up to a motionless dead bristlenose. :(

Params: ammon = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrate = 0, pH = 6.8
Not one other fish has any symptoms at all as far as i can tell.

I do frequent water changes, feed variety of foods, and no changes to anything other than removal of 2 danios to squat another tank temporarily.

I'm perpelexed and really annoyed. I loved this little guy and now i have to hunt to find a replacement. Bristlenose of good stock aren't easy to come by lately. I took a pic of his underside just now. Not sure, but it looks red and irritated. I can't tell if it's from dying or not. Damnit. :thumbsdown:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
this sort of thing happens..sorry for the loss
I know how you feel purplexed.. I just lost the male blue eyed bn of my pair...

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
this sort of thing happens..sorry for the loss
I know how you feel purplexed.. I just lost the male blue eyed bn of my pair...
Yeah, i know it can happen. If it was just sick or not well, then at least it lived it's last days in decent care with plenty to eat. The only other deaths i had were a dwarf gourami (known for issues), some danio jumpers, and some older corys.

I guess this means maybe i can get that whiptail i was eyeballin. Ha! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KI4WLG

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
North Carolina/South Carolina
Sorry to hear about the bn's death. as for the redness, if it had any disease/injury that could have caused an internal bleedout, that could be the source of the discoloration.

MissRedneck

Local drunk
Aug 3, 2012
In the sticks
Real Name
stubborn redneck hick
:(

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
does this tank have driftwood? Very sorry for your loss :(. I once lost a 5" bristlenose that was just beautfiul! I got it for free and i think it was rare, it had amazing colors, just blew my mind at how beautiful it was, It was really beat up when i bought it though. It died overnight. I had been waiting 2 years for my lfs to get them in... Finally did and it died. that was the worst day of my life :(.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store