Jd an Oscar not friends.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cobbs

AC Members
Aug 5, 2012
Idaho
I have a three inch Jack Dempsey and a 4 inch Oscar. I've had them for about 2 months and they recently started fighting. Even though my Oscar is bigger he is getting his butt kicked by the jd. Any tips on controlling their aggression? They are in a heavily planted 55g tank with plenty of hiding places.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You can't control their aggression. They are maturing and establishing a pecking order, just a fact of life. It may settle out or it may not. You could easily end up with one fish, in which case you get get another similar sized fish and try again.

Treefork

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
Northeast Indiana
pets.groups.yahoo.com
Real Name
Joe
I have a three inch Jack Dempsey and a 4 inch Oscar. I've had them for about 2 months and they recently started fighting. Even though my Oscar is bigger he is getting his butt kicked by the jd. Any tips on controlling their aggression? They are in a heavily planted 55g tank with plenty of hiding places.
You're oscar will never be able to handle the JD. If the JD decides to kill him, he will. Oscars are not aggressive by cichlid standards and should be housed with other non aggressive cichlids and large fish or alone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
pffttt...IME it will be 50/50...have seen quite a few killer Oscars in 30 years....

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
You're oscar will never be able to handle the JD. If the JD decides to kill him, he will. Oscars are not aggressive by cichlid standards and should be housed with other non aggressive cichlids and large fish or alone.
pffttt...IME it will be 50/50...have seen quite a few killer Oscars in 30 years....
+1

Oscars ARE aggressive. They cannot be housed with anything other than similar tempered fish. However, you can run into some on occasion that are evenly tempered. A JD is usually one of the recommended tankmates. If you think they are non-aggressive, I challenge you to stick your hand in my Oscar tank. That being said, you will find some that are pretty laid back and fairly docile, they are the exception.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
+2

IME, oscars tend to be the aggressor less often than similar-sized CA cichlids such as jags, RDs, midas, etc., but when an oscar decides a certain area of a tank is its own it make no bones 'bout it. And when another fish gets aggressive, most oscars will give it right back.

To the OP, eventually you will wanna look at a larger tank. That in itself will help aggression as it allows more space for each fish. One option in the mean time is dividing the tank with an egg crate divider for a time. Allow each fish the opportunity to stake out it's territory. Make sure ya have a piece of driftwood, a clay pot or other decor on each side for each fish to claim as it's own. This may or may not help, I've had mixed success in the past. If the two fish start ignoring each other, ya can try removing the egg crate and see how it goes. Good luck!

WYite

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
LOL...must be the Mid-West Oscars that ya keep! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store