How to raise water hardness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
My testing kit just ran out of chemicals yesterday, but I did manage to see that I needed to raise my waters hardness. I usually never have to do this, so I don't know what I can put in there to make it harder. I can't go to the store today, but you can still recommend products. If there's anything around the house I can use, that would be even better! Thanks!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Epsom salt and baking soda is an old standby, and if you have any of the non-salt type ice melt products they work as well. Why do you feel the need to raise it?

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I've got some snails that I'm planning to move to it, and I want to make sure they have enough minerals to keep their shells nice. It was really strange that it would happen just right now, because usually it stays about medium hard-hard. I guess the ph supplement could have caused it though. Do you think they would be fine until the weekend with my softer water?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If your water is normally medium hard your tap water probably is as well. Just do a large change.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I've got some snails that I'm planning to move to it, and I want to make sure they have enough minerals to keep their shells nice. It was really strange that it would happen just right now, because usually it stays about medium hard-hard. I guess the ph supplement could have caused it though. Do you think they would be fine until the weekend with my softer water?
If you want to keep their shells hard, a piece of cuttlebone will help deliver calcium.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Cuttlebone is usually in the bird section of the pet store. Just weight down a small piece and your snails will graze on it to get calcium and essential minerals.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store