To adjust pH or not??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shimek182

AC Members
Aug 5, 2012
Richmond, Texas
Real Name
Sarah Shimek
I just set up a new 8 gallon aquarium two weeks ago and tested all my water levels.
The only level that seemed out of the ordinary was pH at 8.2
I have been reading that most fish can survive in a wide range of pH levels, but this seems too high to me.
Would it be advisable to use a pHdown product or should I just wait and let the tank level itself out?
I have also heard that you can add a seashell to the tank to help level out the pH level. Is this true???
I would appreciate any input about this topic.
Thanks!

shimek182

AC Members
Aug 5, 2012
Richmond, Texas
Real Name
Sarah Shimek
Thanks. From what I have read so far, pH is not something you want to mess with. Especially since the tap water where you live will usually remain within a certain range. What's the point of constantly fighting it!?
I'm just worried that it's too high for most fish to thrive in.
I suppose I will wait and see what happens.

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
I believe driftwood or peat will lower pH. I thought coral and other calcium rich additives raised it but I may be wrong. If you set up the environment in the tank right you can make small changes, slowly without much worry. I'd stay away from chemicals except in emergencies because the pH will reset itself and wild swings are the real danger. Have you tested the pH in your tap yet? Make sure and leave it out (in a glass or similar) overnight. It's my understanding, from what I've read, that this allows it to "outgas" which will give you a better reading (not necessary on aquarium water as its already been setting out).

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
leave your ph alone. don't mess with it at all. 8.2 isn't incredibly high. as long as you are not keeping species that require a certain set of water parameters, and are not looking to breed fish that prefer 'soft' water, you'll be fine. if all of your fish are bought locally, they are most likely acclimated just fine to the local water supply anyway.

my ph is consistently at 7.8 to 7.9, both out of the tap and in my tanks (frequent and regular water changes keep the tank as close to tap as possible). i never worry about it, and my fish fare just fine, including an oscar, another large cichlid that came from out of province (different water parameters for sure), and all other fish i've kept now and before (angels, cories, rainbow shark, barbs, danios, rainbows, kribensis, jewel cichlid, bettas....... you get the point).

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Not worth messing with for 90% of the fish you see commercially. Btw, do you have a relation named Joe, about 50 yrs old?

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
leave your ph alone. don't mess with it at all. 8.2 isn't incredibly high. as long as you are not keeping species that require a certain set of water parameters, and are not looking to breed fish that prefer 'soft' water, you'll be fine. if all of your fish are bought locally, they are most likely acclimated just fine to the local water supply anyway.

my ph is consistently at 7.8 to 7.9, both out of the tap and in my tanks (frequent and regular water changes keep the tank as close to tap as possible). i never worry about it, and my fish fare just fine, including an oscar, another large cichlid that came from out of province (different water parameters for sure), and all other fish i've kept now and before (angels, cories, rainbow shark, barbs, danios, rainbows, kribensis, jewel cichlid, bettas....... you get the point).
This is good advice BTW. If you've added fish, I wouldn't mess with it. If you haven't, now would be the best time as if you cause any swings there are no residents to harm, however, if your tap is around 8.2 you risk swings during WCs. If you choose to leave it, just ensure future residents will be comfortable at that range. I know cardinal and neon tetras and some others prefer lower pHs around 6-7 but there are plenty of options that will thrive at the level you have.

Remember: the greatest danger here is swings (up or down). Continue your research but doing nothing is better (in this case) than trying to make uninformed and/or unplanned changes.

Full Disclosure: My tap is about 7/7.2 but my tanks are consistently 6.6-6.8. I believe the change is from driftwood but it stays consistent so it does not stress my inhabitants.

shimek182

AC Members
Aug 5, 2012
Richmond, Texas
Real Name
Sarah Shimek
Yeah,, I'm scared of adding chemicals. I am going to avoid it at all costs b/c I don't want to risk screwing up the whole tank.
I have read from several sources that peat will lower the pH, but from the feedback I have gotten, I believe I will just leave the level alone for now.
Thanks!

shimek182

AC Members
Aug 5, 2012
Richmond, Texas
Real Name
Sarah Shimek
Thanks!
I may be related to a Joe, but I am not sure.
I have a large extended family that I do not keep in touch with as well as I should.

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
Yea, never add chems to adjust pH. From what I've read the natural buffers in the water will just kick back in leading to a drop (or increase depending on chemical) followed quickly by a return to the original level. This will stress your fish, causing disease if not outright death (if extreme enough).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store