Tips for getting started?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Hey there, long time member but this is my first time posting in the African area so I'm feeling a bit new again. I am going to be doing an overhaul on my 75g since I have to move it. I currently have a SA/CA setup but am thinking about going with Africans. I have a little one at home so research time is limited and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing some tips to getting started.

I already have natural colored sand and I know that I will be needing to purchase some rocks. Will my driftwood be obsolete? To begin, I am more interested in my tank scape but you can make fish suggestions as well. Anything to save me a little money is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
first things first, what are your water parameters out of the tap? (ph, gh, kh, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate). african cichlids do prefer hard water, and it is ultimately better to start with source water that is geared to what they really thrive in. they will do ok in water that isn't perfect for them, and buying locally means they are adjusted well to local water already, saving you the headache of having to buffer your water. but they do best in harder water. messing with your water chemistry each time you have to do a water change is going to be more of a pain in the butt than it's worth, IMO. if your water is soft to begin with, i'd be looking at fish that would better suit that water, instead of africans.

as for tank scaping, most african tanks have a lot of rock work and little else. this helps to emulate their natural environments. lots of hidey holes in the rocks, and lots of places for each fish to claim a territory. chunky driftwood would suffice, IMO, as long as those territories can be established between the pieces of decor.

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Good thinking. I have set out a glass to test in a bit. If my memory is correct it needs to be out of the tap an hour or so for a correct reading? I don't have a test for gh or kh unfortunantely. Doesn't the rock and maybe some crushed coral help buffer the water? Obviously if my water is super soft then it won't help much, but it does help keep it hard, right?

As far as my driftwood goes, I still want to add rock. I just wanted to know if I could also include my wood pieces rather than having them sit dry. I like my wood. :)

Thank you.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
You can use your driftwood because I see you have used it in tanks for a long time; so, no problem with it lowering the pH; that old driftwood will not have effects on the pH. Using crushed coral is a great way to buffer the pH for African cichlids. Some types of rocks as Texas Holey Rock can be good buffers; but not all rocks can do that. The pH for Africans is good from 7.5 to 8.5; more close to the high value with Tangs than with Malawians. General hardness: 200 ppm or higher.

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
8.0 PH, 0 Ammonia and Nitrite, < 5 Nitrate. Like I said, I have no tests for gh or kh but I found someone local that has a show tank full of Malawi cichlids and lust uses crushed coral and limestone to buffer. Seems like a go to me. Next step is to start locating some cheap rock.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I am a long time African fancier specializing in Tanganyika fish i keep Mbuna as well, driftwood is ok as long as the wood is old and not leaching tan-ins like Efors stated, It would be safe to say if your water is testing at 8.0 on the PH your Hardness should be ok as well or your CA fish probably would not have done so well, again not knowing your hardness chances are it could be on the softer side and still get a higher reading on the PH but usually not the norm..

As for fish it will depend on your taste of what you want to keep, I know it can be hectic with little ones around but really do some research and see what grabs you, there are so many options out there.. Have fun because a 75gal can be a nice African setup with a little homework..

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
So I started looking at the online prices of mbuna and see that even the cheapest are 5-7 bucks each. Unfortunately, due to the need of overstocking these guys, I don't think I can stomach the cost. :( Going to have to think of another route.

Iaan

AC Members
Jul 27, 2010
Alberton Gauteng South-Africa
Overstocking helps only whith accretion in adalt fish I started with a tank full of small fish. Most of then grew up and they are doing grate

Sent from my GT-P7500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
What part of Indiana, are you closer to Louisville or Indy, try craigslist as many people will post fish for sell, if you put in fish tanks in the search engine on craigslist you should find some..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store