Stocking???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evnsmm05

AC Members
Aug 6, 2012
I have a 39g aquarium that I am trying to figure out how I would like to stock with fish. I have been researching and every website is different. I currently have 3 Zebra Danios and 2 broad leaf Anubias plants with a river rock bottom. The following is what I would like to have in my tank but I am not sure that is will be overcrowded or if they will all get along ok and need suggestions on a centerpiece fish.

4-6 Zebra Danios
3-4 Cherry Shrimp
4-6 Cherry Barbs
2-3 Dwarf Gourami
3-5 Platty
1 centerpiece fish ?

Thank you!!!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
39g aquarium
I currently have 3 Zebra Danios

4-6 Zebra Danios
3-4 Cherry Shrimp
4-6 Cherry Barbs
2-3 Dwarf Gourami
3-5 Platty
1 centerpiece fish ?

Thank you!!!
i personally would have a larger group of one schooling fish, and have one gourami as a centrepiece. since you already have danios, add to that group, and add one gourami. 5 cories for the bottom would round out the tank nicely. i personally would skip the shrimp, or do a smaller shrimp only tank in addition to this 39 gal.

skip the platies, skip the barbs IMO. a tank that size will look much too busy with too many species in it.

don't forget to add stock slowly and to quarantine new fish! separate tank for a month, to rule out disease, before adding to your main tank. i'd get 3 more danios first, qt them, then add to main tank. then get your gourami, qt it, then add to main tank. then get 3 cories, qt, then add to main. then 2 more cories, qt, add. doing it in small increments like this will allow the beneficial bacteria to build up gradually to handle the additional bioload from the added fish. you can add more danios down the road if you feel the tank/filtration/maintenance schedule can handle a few more.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) I always recommend 1 schooling species per 20-30gals of water.
2) The Gouramis or Platies will eat the shrimp.
3) What's wrong with the Gouramis as the center fish??

evnsmm05

AC Members
Aug 6, 2012
Thank you so much everyone with your help i really do appreciate all of your help and will use your advise :)

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
If you really do decide to get red cherry shrimp, I really reccommend that you start out with 10-20, as this will provide a better gene pool for when they breed. You can find them for about $1 each plus shipping on the buy/sell forums here, which is a much better deal than most LFS and big box stores have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store