Questions about betta fish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rava

Betta Babe
Dec 26, 2002
CA
Today at Wal-Mart I found female betta fish. They were extremely tiny, probably just babies. They were all very dull colored (and sickly, I wouldn't of bought any of them). But what I was wondering was, do they gain any color as they grow, or do they stay dull? And (just exploring all my options) what would be the best ages of male and female bettas to breed? Like how long would a tiny female like that take to be of breeding age? They were about 3+ cm.'s long I think, if that's any help.

Also, and I'm not really considering this right now, but for future reference... How hard is it to breed bettas? How many babies do you usually have? Is there a fair market for them? What all does it entail?

Thanks for any information! You'll also be glad to know (if you read my last post), our betta fish will be moved to a larger bowl with some fun stuff in it to swim around in, in three days. :) I also discovered today the color black makes him defensive, and he recognizes when you lean over his bowl that food is incoming! lol
Smart fish indeed! :) Thinking about getting another one 'cause we love him so much. :)

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Female bettas tend to not be as bold in coloration as males, usually washed-out color with bars or stripes on their bodies. They are also a little smaller, not much more than an inch and a half full grown (body, not fin). Be sure it's not just a male with short fins when you get it....

Bettas are not easy to breed, from what I've heard. Everything I've read points to the fact that males and females rarely get along, and may wind up beating each other to death, much like if you had put two males in the same tank.... Or so I've read. I've never tried it myself, so I'm not sure. I do know that gouramis, the betta's close cousins, usually dislike each other, regardless of sex, so I believe most of what I've read about bettas....

On a similar note, I'm sure you've gathered that male bettas HATE each other, so putting two in a tank is a no-no...I wouldn't even put their individual tanks near one another. They'll be constantly flaring and ramming the glass if they can see each other.

Glad to know you're getting into all of this! Keep us posted on your progress....

Rava

Betta Babe
Dec 26, 2002
CA
Thanks very much! I would be worried about buying those and assuming their females, as they were very tiny!

If I get another male I would definitely not keep them next to each other. My friend told me they can jump out of their bowl and (if they're lucky) into the next, just to fight. Not sure if that's true, but I wouldn't be suprised, my last betta jumped out of his bowl three times. :) And lived... lol

I'm really excited about getting into bettas too! lol Never been overly fond of any other fish, buy bettas have such personaity and flair ya know... :) I'll definitely stick around and keep you posted. :) Thanks!

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
The females are smaller and their color isn't as vivid. They're not as aggressive as the males and you could keep some together in their own tank. I think you can also keep a pair together so long as they have enough space and she has enough hideouts.

Barron's has a nice line of small paperbacks, less than $10 each and fairly easy to find. There is one on Bettas that covers breeding and genetics as well as details on Betta splendens and maybe 2 dozen other Betta species. An excellent place to start if you thinking of breeding. There is another book in the series on Gouramis and Other Labyrinth Fishes that also has some material on Bettas. I went with a pair of Pearl Gouramis for tank #1 since they're on the more peaceful side of the coin, but I'm definitely planning on adding some wild Bettas once I start to grow the tank collection. I think the Pearls are as beautiful as a Betta -- the colors have gotten more intense and irridescent now that they've settled in.

The Barron's book mentioned putting cards between Betta bowls to hide them from each other if you wanted to keep some near each other.

Last edited:

Onna Shinigami

AC Members
Oct 3, 2002
Tennessee
Not all the females that I've seen from Wal-Mart are dull in color. The last two females I bough have been clear in color and the more recent one is clear with red fins. Both grew about twice their size in a few months in a 10 gall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store