can my stand be a dresser?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i was wondering if i could build a stand like the stand attached and have drawers in those holes? i wouldnt have the legs o the bottom though itd be flat. i want to have a tank/ dresser bc my dresser is ugly so i need one anyway.

IMG_0131.jpg

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
dont see why not. i use to have a tank on my dresser. no problem for me. just make sure they have the support the tanks need.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
i was wondering if i could build a stand like the stand attached and have drawers in those holes? i wouldnt have the legs o the bottom though itd be flat. i want to have a tank/ dresser bc my dresser is ugly so i need one anyway.
Only if you have the skills to do it. Correct fitting drawers aren't for the faint of heart.
Even though you want the flat look I'd still suggest putting "button feet" on the bottom so it only rests on that. Makes it easier to level it.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Why not hunt garage.sales and thrift stores and repurposing an old one?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
bc my grandpa is an awesome carpenter that i know could make a stand like a dresser. im trying to maximize space in my room.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Only if you have the skills to do it. Correct fitting drawers aren't for the faint of heart.
Even though you want the flat look I'd still suggest putting "button feet" on the bottom so it only rests on that. Makes it easier to level it.
but its more pressure on the floor.

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
anything is possible, especially with a skilled old timer. pay attentition to what he does.. you might learn somethin

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
but its more pressure on the floor.
Not enough to worry about in MOST cases. And if the floor isn't straight and level and you shim it it's resting on the shim anyway. Four points of contact are easier to level to start with.
All the tanks in my fish room had to have shims. Fortunately I have all metal stands so a nickel/quarter/washer did the trick. I've got a quarter under one leg of the 55 stand in the kitchen. Perfectly level but still only 4 points of contact. My kitchen cabinets, professional installed and look like they all touch in all areas are shimmed. Again, when you really look at it each cabinet, since it is shimmed, has only (say it all together now) 4 points of contact.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store