Emergency AMMONIA in tap water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

midnightmadman

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
I just did a 40% water change and my African looked like hes ready to die. I did a test on ammonia and found about .75 in aquarium! Then I tested my tap water and found 1.5 what can I do. I threw some bio cycle stuff in and am hoping for the best! Any recommendations? I also put Prime in

Last edited:

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
Have any lfs that sells RO water? Even one of the grocery stores around here sells water in the big 5g jugs. That could get you through for a short time. I've never had that high of ammonia in the tap water. And I'm not sure what you could do other then contact them and see if those levels are normal for your area?

yodafett

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Real Name
Ryan
Prime FTW. Swear by the stuff.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
My tap water has 2 ppm of ammonia and I don't use prime or amquel. I just use regular declor and my fish are doing fine. Like some others have said use prime. It detoxifies the ammonia giving your bb time to consume the ammonia.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Prime is what you want, for sure. it will convert the ammonia to ammonium. ammonium is not toxic to fish like ammonia is. ammonium is still consumed by the beneficial bacteria.

far as i know and have read, Prime will keep that ammonia detoxified for a 24 hour period.

midnightmadman

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Thanks guys. I did add Prime but it must not have been enough. I added a second dose and the ammoina started to drop. He is fine now and ammonia is at 0!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store