30 gal firemouth pair?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Greatkhali96

AC Members
Aug 7, 2012
Hi, not sure if to post this in cichlids or newbies, but there are more people in this forum, so I'll post in this. I've got a 30 gal, I plan to cycle it with 3 guppies, and add firemouths after about 6 weeks. Is the tank big enough for a pair of fires, and will the guppies bully baby firemouths?
generally, any problems with this idea?
Also, any info on firemouths would be appreciated, I've seem a lot of conflicting views on if they should be hard or soft water, acid or alkaline etc.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO--a 30 is the minimum for a pair of Firemouths.

No worry about the guppies, the parents will protect the frey. Maybe even kill the guppies to protect them.

Greatkhali96

AC Members
Aug 7, 2012
I meant if I introduced juvie fm to an established guppy tank, would it be okay?
also, what are the signs of fm pairing?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Idk about around u but there pretty much worthless around here, I see ppl on cl with them routinely for .75-$1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
It can offset some costs for you, thats pretty much all most of us hope go do with w.e we breed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Anyway, what kind of behaviour is shown by cichlids in general when they are pairing? Any tips?
They will stake out an area of the tank for their own.

PS--I agree with AquaticAustin, FM are just about worthless.

Any fish that is easy to breed (Firemouths for example) would drive down prices.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store