Male Betta in a community tank - progression thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Hi i have a big crowntail male betta in my 100gal heavily planted community tank right now. I put him in 1 hour ago and all is good so far. My stock list includes discus, rainbowfish, killifish, cory cats, otocinclus, bristlenose pleco, dwarf gourami, guppys, dwarf shrimps, hatchetfish, and upside down catfish. I will update this on a daily basis. Pics uploaded as soon as my phone is charged.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
one hour will not tell you if things will go well for a long time.

after reading the other thread you posted on this, i'm actually quite surprised that you went against the advice given, after agreeing that a betta in this tank was a no go.

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
one hour will not tell you if things will go well for a long time.

after reading the other thread you posted on this, i'm actually quite surprised that you went against the advice given, after agreeing that a betta in this tank was a no go.
Yeah I know. I've heard of things being ok for years and then just gone overnight. I just said its 'been an hour' nothing more/nothing less. I am prepared for a fight. I've got a temporary holding tank setup for the 'just in incase' scenario. I am prepared for any possible fatalities to come. I couldn't really refuse the offer of a free betta. Let alone a BEAUTIFUL betta.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I agree with jpappy. You should just turn the holding tank into its permanent. Yes, it could work. Its worked for me before actually. But then there has been other times, when even if the betta was a sweet heart, the rest of it tank mates weren't, and attempted to kill him. I guess the best you can do is just watch it closely, and if you see your betta, or its fins, start degrade, take him out!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
I am prepared for a fight............ I am prepared for any possible fatalities to come.
so not right. one should never be prepared for their fish to kill each other. that is not fish keeping. that is tossing incompatible fish in the same tank and crossing your fingers that nothing bad happens.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I didn't read the other post but I have to agree with the consensus here. Most advice given here is from personal advice and if people say eventually, there will be problems (which I can see with a few), there will be. Not always on day 1 or 2, or maybe even day 10 but it will happen. Plenty of people have multi tanks with fish in them in there homes with a betta in one of them..... me included so there should be no reason to keep the betta in the holding tank, but I don't know your circumstances to be fair. If it were me, regardless of them, if the tank was at least 3 gallons, I'd take him out of tje community.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
so not right. one should never be prepared for their fish to kill each other. that is not fish keeping. that is tossing incompatible fish in the same tank and crossing your fingers that nothing bad happens.
:iagree:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store