discus in a 55

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i am redoing my 55 and getting rid of all my fish, to get discus, i have ordered 3 different kinds
royal blue
snake skin red
and snake skin blue
my 55 has 2 fluval 405s, a U.V. sterilizer, T-5 dual bulb, lots of drift wood, white sand, black background, and a lot of java fern growing every where
my question is will 3 discus work out in a 55 or should i add some more, also will a red tailed black shark be ok with them, and a skunk loach, if not that is fine. any other idea or suggestion are welcome please comment and let me in on your thoughts
thank you for your help and guidance
Ben

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Hi Ben,
3 discus is not a good number to keep - you would very likely be inviting undesirable pecking order/aggression issues. Get 5 discus for your 55 gal, and don't keep any other any other fish in with them - particularly the red-tailed shark which is not a good discus tankmate, and the loach may not be either.

And since you plan for your tank to be well planted, with substrate & lots of dw, that can cause you problems unless you maintain a very good tank cleansing routine & frequent large wcs, at least 3 X a week.

Keep it simple, without heavy plantings or lots of DW, so as to allow you to do a good vacuuming job, and give the discus a reasonable amount of swimming space. You'll need to maintain high quality water conditions for discus to thrive, and it's always best to become familiar with discus traits & behaviors in a BB, or very lowly-decorated tank for a few months, before you begin complicating things by adding more plantings & decor.

I believe it would help you to have a read of my Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus, located here as a sticky in the Cichlids section, Angel Fish & Discus sub-section.

Best of luck to you and don't hesitate to PM me if I can be of any further help.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
i did read your guide, i have been keeping fish for years and years, i have never kept discus, they are the only fish i really haven't kept, i will be bumping the number up to 5 and when i see a pair form i will keep just the 2, as far as the plants go, a fully planted tank will help reduce the amount of toxins in the water, as aided with water changes, i have not had an issue with NH3/NH4, NO2, or NO3, i do a rutin by weekly water change of 25% i am running a Ph of 6.6, Kh 3 Gh 5, my temp is about 83 F.
some of my fellow fish keeping friends have discus, and when they have juvies they are doing 2 and 3 WC a week, but for there adults they do a regular once a week 25 percent, they are thriving and breeding, most of them are about 7 inches, i thought is was as long has your prams dont change or ph flucks then you wouldnt have to do daily or more than 2 times a week WC.
now most people trying to do plants heavy could run into problems, i have had many planted tanks with sensitive fish, i think i can handle it. thank you once again for your help, you have givven me a lot to think about, maybe discus are just not worth keeping. back to steinys

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
If you get mature, adult discus, yes you can get by with only one WC a week.

But between 3" to 5" in size, they should have at least 2 large wcs per week. Young fish or small juvies should have the benefit of daily wcs to grow out properly.

And keep in mind that the important thing with discus is that, even though a well planted tank environment will generally maintain good quality water conditions from a "chemical" standpoint, that type of environment is nonetheless not conducive to maintaining squeaky clean tank conditions, with a minimum accumulation of detritus, decomposing plant matter & food, fish waste, etc. - which the plants will be quite happy with, but not necessarily the discus.
This type of environment is very difficult to vacuum properly, and allows for build-up of matter that discus may not thrive in. Lots of good, fresh clean water is the key for discus to do well.
Yes, discus do in fact take a little extra work, but it's a satisfying challenge in keeping these beautiful fish healthy.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
so your talking about TDS being high in a planted aquarium, yes i can agree with that, as fare as the discus im getting, its going to be 3 for now, i missed the order so i cant get more for a few weeks, now these are going to come in at around 2-3 inches, so would a by weekly water change of 25% be better than a daily lets say 10%, what about food, the food i currently have is as listed
Frozen- bloodworms, mysis shrim, brine shrimp, beef heart, beefheart combo pack
pelets- omega one, NLF, ocean nutrition, extream fish food, dinichi, and hickari plus, i killed the spelling
would these foods work
also being that they will be babys, do i need to stick to a strick feeding time, like my other tanks get feed twice a day, but at random times, do i need to feed the discus at the same time every time

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
2" to 3" discus are pretty small juvies, and I really feel they would be better off getting a small daily wc, rather than larger changes only twice a week, at least for the first approx. 2 months after you get them.

Your food list sounds A-OK. And you don't need to feed them at the same time, every time. They would do better though, getting several smaller feedings a day, rather than just one or two larger feedings, at least until they get to about 4". If your work day prohibits 4 -6 feedings at various times every day, try feeding once or twice every morning before you leave home, and then 2 to 4 times in the evenings when you're back at home, spaced an hour or two apart would be fine.
In the past I have fed small juvies small amounts, up to 10 X a day, giving them some food every time I'm passing by the tank, every hour ot two (of course, you can do that when you're retired, as I am -lol).

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
so i got my 3 discus today, they are almost 4 inches, i put them in the tank at 3 pm and left the lights off, i got home at 930 pm and turned the light back on, i went to the tank at 10 pm and the fish all were hiding still, i did notice that one had about 4 spots of ick, is it normal for your discus to hide like they are, all at the bottom hiding where ever they can, and also should i wait a few weeks before i put some ick killer in there as to not kill them when there in a new tank. could they be hiding because my fluval 405 is pushing to much current in the tank, by looking at the little floates in the tank the current isnt to fast, not like how i used to have it. all the fish seam to be breathing ok and have pretty good color. i just didnt know if it were normal for them to be so scared after being in the tank for 7 hours, i have never had fish hid like this 7 hours after being in the tank

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Relax - it's generally quite normal for discus to take up to 3 weeks or more to become fully accustomed to, and comforfortable in, a new environmenmt/new surroundings. In fact, it's not unusual for them to also not begin eating for several days, up to a week or more. Yes, they will be skittish and somewhat stressed for a while - give them some time - I'm sure you'll notice a change for the better in just a few days.
Not to worry.
And the 4 spots you noticed on one fish - again don't be concerned, and don't even think about medicating yet - it's not likely ich at all.
4" discus are good-sized fish, with reasonably well-developed immune systems, and they should be just fine. Hopefully you got good quality, healthy stock from a responsible, experienced source. If so, you should have nothing to worry about.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
well its a big fish breeder i go through and normally i dont buy much fish from them, i called and asked how there discus operation worked and everything sounded fantastic, daily WC us of RO and they gave the the prams of there tanks with a sample bag that i got to test for my self, i did raise the light up a little higher and put some dimers (paper) between it and the glass and i noticed they were a little bit better about showing them self. i dont have a 100% id of the ick but i will keep my eye on it, sure looks like it, but if it is i will wait for it to drop off before i dose rid ick. i dont know why i have so many question, but when ever i start something new, all previous knowledge goes out the window in till i get my ducks in a row, once again, thank you for all your help and knowledge
Ben

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Don't be uptight about asking many questions - that's a real good sign from a new discus-keeper - that's of course how one learns - how I learned.
I'm quite sure your discus will be behaving a whole lot better in a day or two, and you'll feel better too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store