acrylic tank crack

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enkay78

AC Members
Jan 17, 2012
Bangalore, INDIA
folks,
i have a 33 X 50 X 36 cm acrylic tank which cracked last mid night suddenly, my wife saw the mess early in the morning and we were able to move all the fish to a safer container. the crack is comprehensive as it runs from the bottom right corner goin across the corner curve and touching the top right of the front glass (refer to the attached image) trying to understand what could be possible reasons.
1. had a small 5w cfl light attached to the tank lid/hood which is on for 12 to 14 hours per day. may be the subtle expansion/contraction due to thermal variations may have cause the crack
2. the table on which the tank was set may have sagged a little in the middle like a bow but the tank was on the right extreme of the table so there was a subtle natural tilt from right to left. i presume acrylic tanks could withstand stress better but looks like its a lesson learnt the hard way. will setup a more robust flat platform for the new tank now.
appreciate any comments / suggestions
regards
enkay78
tank_crack.jpg

tank_crack.jpg

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I'll take door #2. You were working with a mass produced beginners tank, and one of the big drivers on such tanks is price. That means you cut costs as much as possible, and the most obvious way to do that is to use the least amount of material possible. If you had the same size tank assembled from 3/16" acrylic sheet, it likely would have been fine. For a while longer anyway! You have just been given a very valuable lesson in structural engineering in regards to the importance of the placement of load bearing members properly! You may not believe this, but if you had a tank which was much larger and completely spanned the top it would be much safer than your set up. The flat top panel is not designed to support any appreciable weight for an extended period.

Last edited:

enkay78

AC Members
Jan 17, 2012
Bangalore, INDIA
SubRosa,
i really appreciate the insight. i guess the "cheap" 50mm acrylic gave way. i am looking at traditional 80mm glass tank options (with a flat/firm base) as the acrylic ones dont seem to impress me any more.
regards
enkay78

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
That's why I don't use acrylic in anything larger than 5-10g :/ sorry for your loss of a tank, man.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
That's why I don't use acrylic in anything larger than 5-10g :/ sorry for your loss of a tank, man.
really? Acrylic is much stronger than glass. I'd say the larger you go the more you should consider going acrylic.

I think you're mistaking those 5-10gal kits for actual acrylic, those are plastic toys.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
All I know is after owning 2 acrylic tanks (100 & 50 gallon) is that both had crazing, cracking, weeping, leaking, and structural sag issues, even on solid and level foundations. Add to this the inability for acrylic to shed heat with any kind of lighting and you have a pain compared to standard glass. While Ill admit that acrylic is miraculously lighter then glass, allows light to pass more easily, and is scratch repairable, IMO those benefits do not outweigh their negatives over glass which once in place regardless of how heavy is seldom moved (once in 10 years). Glass also is also a far better conductor of heat which is important for maintaining accurate and predictable temperature at low cost for multiple tanks using room ambient source. All 9 of my GLASS tanks totaling 1500 gallons maintain and store heat at the exact room temperature of the house between 77-79F at a fraction of the cost of using tank heaters and chillers to chase the green-house affect that acrylic causes being a very poor conductor of heat.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Never had aproblem with any acrylic tank in 30 years....with constant moves while in the Navy, and even moving tanks around with them still having 30% of their water in them. Bet it will come down to the thickness of material used and structural support in the stand.

enkay78

AC Members
Jan 17, 2012
Bangalore, INDIA
folks,
thanks a bunch for your insight. i have a standard 8mm glass based 24"x12"x15" on a "level" aquarium metal frame :) hope things will be ok from now on.
regards
enkay78

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Acrylic has many advantages over glass. Weight in larger capacity tanks being the main one. However I would not by a cookie cutter acrylic aquarium. You need to pay attention to the thickness of the material.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store