Gourami being over bullied

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
So, my male gold gourami had had his side fin nipped off a little bit back by a rosy barb, and now its starting to slowly grow back. The problem is, without it, he's become way slower than the rest of the gouramis, so now they're chasing him and trying to nip his fins, although the rosy barbs do their fair amount too. Don't worry, I'm getting rid of the rosies. My question is, should I just leave him in there, let him recover? Its not terrible, like he's not constantly being chased, but his fins tips are a little more jagged now. Other than that he still swims and everything perfectly normal. So, should I move him to the refugium on the side of my tank, or just let him be? Let him learn to tuffin up;)

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
BTW, its perfectly normal for every gourami to be chased at some time or another in this tank, its just that the ones with all their fins always get away and go on with their lives unharmed.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
If it's being harassed, I can't imagine that the stress is any good for it's immune response. You don't want those fins to become infected.

If you can, I would isolate...it would also make it easier to ensure water quality stays top notch to get everything healed up as quickly as possible. Better safe than sorry IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store