Beaten up bn pleco will heal with time? Or permanent scarring?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
I have a long finned albino bn pleco that has been in a mbuna tank for 6 months. I recently decided to move him to a peaceful planted tank. Well his long fins arent long anymore. Because my yellow labs destroyed them. Will they heal with time? **How long will it take?**

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Yes they will heal. Time depend on how clean the water is kept, how low your number are and fish in with him.

Why you would put a BN in with aggressive mbuna is beyond me!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Please know for future reference that any plec is not advisable to be put in with Mbuna.
I am truely sorry next time I will be sure to note that. But my rubberlips are doing GREAT with the yellow labs. They don't really bother each other much.

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Give it time, most plecs end up eyeless or worse dead due to the torture they experience with the aggressive mbuna.
Its not really a mbuna tank. Its just got a breeding pair of yellow labs. But no worries I have moved all the plecs from the tank.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I used to have a pleco and it got beat up by the cichlids, but it ended up healing fine.
He doesnt have "cichlids", he has Mbuna cichlids. they come from Lake Malawi in Africa and are known to be aggressive. The ONLY thing you can safely keep with them are more Mbunas. Even then it's a roll of the dice. Your post is misleading.

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
He doesnt have "cichlids", he has Mbuna cichlids. they come from Lake Malawi in Africa and are known to be aggressive. The ONLY thing you can safely keep with them are more Mbunas. Even then it's a roll of the dice. Your post is misleading.
Not true at all I keep synodontis in all my mbuna tanks. The synodontis beat the crap out of my mbuna. I have also kept giraffe catfish with them. All three come from and are found natively in Lake Malawi. Also I have a baby datnoid in with my yellow labs and they get along nicely. Ive kept cory cats with them when they were smaller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store