55 Gallon Discus Setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheRealKrafty

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
What should I add to my tank to make my new discus feel at home? I have the temp at 84 degrees, pH level 6.8 and some driftwood and rocks but no plants. So should I add anything? Like real plants or fake plants? I plan on having 6 or 7 Discus fish in my 55 gallon since I read from multiple sources that is the max I want to go in a 55 gallon.

TheRealKrafty

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
What should I add to my tank to make my new discus feel at home? I have the temp at 84 degrees, pH level 6.8 and some driftwood and rocks but no plants. So should I add anything? Like real plants or fake plants? I plan on having 6 or 7 Discus fish in my 55 gallon since I read from multiple sources that is the max I want to go in a 55 gallon.

And here he is, my first Discus
:headbang2:

Blue Turquoise Discus.jpg

Blue Turquoise Discus.jpg

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
I'd like to help by answering your question properly, but first some information is needed so we can be on the same level playing field.
I assume you have the tank all set up now and it's cycled. Yes ?
At this moment does the tank contain those other fish you have mentioned, i.e. 1 discus, 9 mollies, 1 lobster, 1 pleco, and 2 catfish ? And do you intend to keep all of those fish with the other discus you want to get ?
How big is your single discus, and what size of discus are you planning to add ?
Would also be good to know where you're getting those discus - the source ?
Have you done any research yet on keeping discus ?

I have not heard or read of any sources that would advocate 7 discus in a 55 gal tank, unless they were smaller juveniles, and they would be intended to be moved (fairly soon) to a larger tank after growing out some & before becoming adults.
If you're looking for some honest, meaningful advice, please answers the questions, and you will receive a response.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

TheRealKrafty

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
I'd like to help by answering your question properly, but first some information is needed so we can be on the same level playing field.
I assume you have the tank all set up now and it's cycled. Yes ?
At this moment does the tank contain those other fish you have mentioned, i.e. 1 discus, 9 mollies, 1 lobster, 1 pleco, and 2 catfish ? And do you intend to keep all of those fish with the other discus you want to get ?
How big is your single discus, and what size of discus are you planning to add ?
Would also be good to know where you're getting those discus - the source ?
Have you done any research yet on keeping discus ?

I have not heard or read of any sources that would advocate 7 discus in a 55 gal tank, unless they were smaller juveniles, and they would be intended to be moved (fairly soon) to a larger tank after growing out some & before becoming adults.
If you're looking for some honest, meaningful advice, please answers the questions, and you will receive a response.
Yes my tank is cycled
Yes it contains the fish mentioned
Yes I want to keep all those fish with the discus I intend to get
The single discus is about 2-3 inches and I would like to add some 3-4 inch discus to the tank
Yes I have done some research on keeping discus
I will be getting my discus fish from my local Aquarium World

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
OK - I sure hope your local Aquarium World has good healthy stock. Do you know where they get them from?
I'd strongly suggest you limit your discus to 5 in that size tank, as that's about the maximum recommended as adults for a 55. (and it may not take them long to get there - a few months if they're treated well).

My further recommendation is to leave your tank just as is for now, with only rocks and driftwood, at least for a couple of months, to give your smallest discus a chance to do some growing in a good environment, and you a chance to become familiar with discus traits and behaviors. When you get comfortable keeping/growing out discus, then you could proceed to do some more aquascaping. You won't regret doing that.
Now with the other fish that you have, I think you will be stretching things a bit, bio-load wise, especially if the mollies and the other fish are of any reasonable size right now.
It could be ok, but I feel it's a bit risky on a number of fronts.

The Pleco may need watching, for example, as some have been known to take a liking to discus' slime coats as part of their diet. Not likely, but that could be possible with the catfish too, although I'm not familiar with that particular species.

Your blue lobster could become lunch for larger discus, depending on how small or large it is.

As for the Mollies - if you give the discus the tank cleaning care and attention, that you should, to grow them out well, along with fairly frequent wcs, that may create a water condition environment that is not particularly conducive to Mollies, who prefer brackish water and love to munch on algae.

All of this is not intended to alarm or deter you, just stating things that you should be aware of when keeping expensive discus fish. You don't want to lose them.

3" to 4" discus added to your tank with a 2" er shouldn't be a particular problem, but watch for any bullying by a larger one on that little guy. It would be better if the 4 others you get are around the 3" size.

Those are young juveniles that have some growing out to do, and a not well-developed immune system, so I'm quite sure you would be much better off (less risk) raising those discus without any other fish in the tank - but that's your call.

All the best to you, and don't hesitate to call on me if I can be of any help at any time.
Regards,
Paul

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store