Identify Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

otmmy

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Lethbridge,AB,Canada
Real Name
Tommy
So a few months back I bought a catfish labeled as upside down cat then I started ready more on them and found out they do better in groups.So I went out and got 4 more but these guy look alot different.I know there are a few types of upside down's.So could someone tell me what these guys are?Up 2.JPGUp1.JPG

Up 2.JPG Up1.JPG

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
the top one is the upside down synodontis catfish. The bottom one looks like synodontis eupterus, which can swim upside down but can grow to be very large (about 8").
It looks SIMILAR, but im thinking a vague possibility of a hybrid. I have kept multiple featherfins before and mine was EXTREMELY AGRESSIVE. To the point that she was beating up a young dovii! I have looked online on multiple occasions, people say their peaceful but MY GOD! mine was the 'teeth first' type of bloodthirsty headbutting fish. i sold her a few months ago. she was 9" and 3 years old. They do swim upside down alot. at least mine did.

otmmy

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Lethbridge,AB,Canada
Real Name
Tommy
Ya right now they all in a 100 gallon with 2 synodontis petricola and they all get along great.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Top one is Synodontis nigriventris.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Ones on the bottom are eupterus and get very big/aggro...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store