Breeding freshwater tropical fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elbore

Registered Member
Aug 9, 2012
Hello, I am a new member here and also new with tanks and fishes, I got a medium size tank with 5 angle fishes, a black ghost from the amazon river, and algae eater, several shrimps and 2 crabs, it looks awesome, so now I want to start breeding fishes, for that my in laws gave me a 1.000 liters tank(Cement no glass by the way) and I am planning on put it on my back yard, where there is room enough and a tree right in the middle, I live in Colombia where we have many many rivers including the amazon river, I need advice on how to start, any suggestions will be grateful appreciated, it is hot here all the time so winter won't be a problem for me.
Thanks in advance.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
1.000L = 1,000L (for us Americans)?

Angels are pretty easy to breed once you get a pair formed.
Not the ones you catch in Colombia!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The surest way to breed practically any fish is to keep one species per tank. May fish will successfully breed in a community setting, and a rare few require the presence of other species but if breeding is your main goal, one species per tank is the best start.

elbore

Registered Member
Aug 9, 2012
Well actually we get them from the pet store, they are born in captivity, I bought a pair very little and they have been growing in my tank, I am planning on get the fishes from breeders in my city.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
What are the laws concerning collecting your own?

elbore

Registered Member
Aug 9, 2012
Well you are not aloud, so most of the fish you get, you get them at the pet store, or from breeders.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Well you are not aloud, so most of the fish you get, you get them at the pet store, or from breeders.
Judging from the numbers of wild caught Colombian fish in the trade there has to be SOME way to do it! Perhaps permits are only issued to commercial ventures?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store