Little boy messed up my tank, help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

epro

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2002
Florida
Visit site
Well he is only 6 years old, and usually does not have access to fish food, but I forgot this time and left the bottle by the tank. He poured the whole thing into a 20 gallon tank (large can of food), which was sparkling clear and in perfect condition prior to this (no nirite, ammonia, etc.) sometime last night. Now, this morning, the tank is completely clouded, but it seems that all the fish are alive, and the bottom is totally littered inches into the gravel with food.

My problem is that it will take several sweepings to completely clean the gravel up, far more than a 30% - 50% water change. I have done one five gallon bucket so far and I have barely done 1/6 (less actually) of the gravel. I have no place else to put the fish, so they have to stay in the tank. Any suggestions? Can I just do a 100% + water change as long as I keep adding stress coat to each bucket as I refill the tank? I only have one size gravel cleaner and I cannot go buy a smaller one, all the stores are closed on this holiday day.

Well, thanks for any suggestions. It seems the fish had a good thanksgiving day meal. I hope they don't all die.

epro

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
If you have always done 30-50% water changes once a week, then your tank water should be similar to that of your tap water. I see no problems with multiple gravel cleanings, as long as the water going back into the tank is the same temperature as the fish usually live in. Since you will be doing multiple water changes, this is especially important.

HTH
-Richer

FISHGUY_CA

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Wiinipeg, MB Canada
Visit site
Those darn kids I tells ya

Originally posted by epro
Well he is only 6 years old, and usually does not have access to fish food, but I forgot this time and left the bottle by the tank. He poured the whole thing into a 20 gallon tank (large can of food), which was sparkling clear and in perfect condition prior to this (no nirite, ammonia, etc.) sometime last night. Now, this morning, the tank is completely clouded, but it seems that all the fish are alive, and the bottom is totally littered inches into the gravel with food.

My problem is that it will take several sweepings to completely clean the gravel up, far more than a 30% - 50% water change. I have done one five gallon bucket so far and I have barely done 1/6 (less actually) of the gravel. I have no place else to put the fish, so they have to stay in the tank. Any suggestions? Can I just do a 100% + water change as long as I keep adding stress coat to each bucket as I refill the tank? I only have one size gravel cleaner and I cannot go buy a smaller one, all the stores are closed on this holiday day.

Well, thanks for any suggestions. It seems the fish had a good thanksgiving day meal. I hope they don't all die.

epro
Dear EPRO,
This is not a big deal however I need to know one thing, what kind of fish do you keep in your tank right now my dear ??? So long as you make sure the water you add into your tank is the exact same temp as the water in the tank right now you'll be ok if you wanna go ahead with a thorough full out tank cleaning. Just be careful not to bump any fish when you are rearranging the rocks and plants because it may cause overstress and you'll notice after you're finally done cleaning the tank (which I know is a pain in the arse) you're little guys will be sitting in the top corners of the tank seemingly having a heart attack so just make sure after you clean the tank you've also made sure to clean the filters otherwise the uneaten food will cause the water to remain cloudy and smell gross for quite awhile. Also when you clean the glass I always use a soft lint free cloth instead of those stupid magnetic algae scrapers. All those do is piss the fish right off causing them ALOT of stress and scratch the glass to no repair that's why if you're careful and don't splash the water around when you are cleaning the tank, your fish will be much happier with you trust me :D I wouldn't worry about your fish dying unless they are Goldfish. No offence but Goldfish are so unbelievably stupid it is undescribable. Yes they are VERY hardy and easy to take care of but you will find yourself forever cleaning the tank because they make a huge mess ALL the time and grow very rapidly and if overfed, they are so stupid they will eat anything they can find until they explode. Yes I'm serious we have a large pond in our backyard and the larger Koi will eat until they float they get so fat it's ridiculous actually. Best of luck withyour little "problem" and always remember this as it was the same thing I was as a child....
If you wanna feed them just ask because I know you like them but if you don't know what you're doing to them they will die and that is not good because I'll kill you my dear. :p Good luck and happy fishkeeping I wish you the best of luck in the future :) My e-mail is high_flyer19@hotmail.com if you wanna let me know what happens with them. Talk to ya soon and one oher thing I'll tell you, always change 20% of your water twice a week in the tank because if you think about it, fish can't live in the same yucky water day after day forever right ???? Bye for now and best of luck .....
Sincerely Yours :D
FISHGUY_CA

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
What's your point FISHGUY_CA,i mean what does water changing have to do with stupid goldfishes and bumping fish?You net the fish first before doing a water change right?

kvr

AC Members
Apr 17, 2001
Ghent, Belgium
allserv.UGent.be
Originally posted by Serrateeth_2002
You net the fish first before doing a water change right?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I a case like this, vacuum the gravel as much as possible to get all the decaying food out !!! Then do a 70 or 80% waterchange and another one tomorrow, you should be rather save then. Just keep an eye on those waterparameters and be prepared to do a waterchange anytime (as soon as your fish would act strange).

I have a small battery operated gravel cleaner that works very good. The debris is sucked up from the gravel and is collected in a small cotton bag above the water. That way it's possible to seperate waterchanges and gravel cleanings. The water just goes back into the tank, all the debris is going in the bag. If you have something like this, you can clean your gravel thoroughly, without having to suck out all the water.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Yes, you would, but our friend here doesn't have the facility.

Go with the water changes - your fish will die if you don't. I find that as long as the new water is similar composition - hardness, pH in the right general range, temperature - the fish can cope. Certainly much better than they'll cope with the soup that they're currently swimming in.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
If you can't remove the fish,use gravel cleaners like others have said and at least 50% water change,after that,let filters do their work,somebody correct me if i am wrong.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
You would remove the fish if doing a 100% water change. This would be highly irregular, however.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store