Krib pair

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Branden_Pearson

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
Just got this pair of kribs but cant figure out which is male and which is female. first pic is of first fish which is much fatter and follows the other one around all day. Second and third pic are of fish number 2 which is much skinnier. Plz help me figure this out.

IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0202.JPG

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
The one in the first pict. is a female. I just got some yesterday too, and the female has been following the male around all day, but neither of them have chosen a cave yet:( Your's are very beautiful btw. Mine are still a little stressed from the shipping, so they aren't very colorful, but the females belly is still bright pink!! Hope this helps!

Branden_Pearson

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
Yes thank you mine are still getting there color back also I got mine from afishpond on AC. Mine haven't chose a cave yet either but they love to lay in my hygro plants.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hehe! I got mine from the same place. They seem to be favoring the cave on the right, but they seem kinda indecisive, so who knows how long it will last!! Best of luck with yours! Hey, if they breed, let me know!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Are you sure they sent you a m/f pair? I'm no expert, but by looking at color and finnage they both look male to me. Generally, male kribs have longer, pointier fins than the females and even when paled out due to stress or shipping, the female should have a noticeably brighter pink/purple belly. Males also have longer bodies and faces, where females look shorter and pudgier. I have also noticed that my male keeps his fins relaxed where my female frequently has hers more erect. Here is a picture of my pair, who are currently raising their second batch of fry (free swimming 2 days ago). The male is on the left, and the female is on the right. It is a bit blurry, but notice the female's rounded dorsal fin edge compared to the male's pointy one. Also notice how much brighter the female's belly is than the male's and how she is not quite as long and svelte as he is. If you look closely, you can see their first batch of fry in this pic as well.

Kribensis kiss.JPG

If you are sure one is a female, look for the belly showing behavior. My female shows this behavior to the male constantly (except when the male is caring for their young fry). She will swim in front of him and curve her belly towards him, flashing the bright pink/purple. My male ignored her for about a week before they started digging a spawning cave together.

Post more pictures if you can and I will try to help out more.

P.S. Mine eat pretty much anything but love live and frozen foods best. Just make sure whatever you give them sinks to the bottom. Mine will NOT come to the surface to eat. You can use straw or something to stir the water so the flakes drop faster.

Tips for spawning: Do frequent water changes with slightly cooler water than what is in the tank. Mine almost always spawn the same night or the next day when I do that. Conditioning them with high protein food will help the female develop eggs faster.

Here is a pic with them and their latest batch. Fry are hard to see because they blend in well with the sand (which is a good thing!), but if you look closely you can see some tiny cream colored little guys with big eyes and spots.
P1040065.JPGP1040070.JPG

Kribensis kiss.JPG P1040065.JPG P1040070.JPG

Last edited:

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I haven't seen mine showing off, but one of them definately has a pinker belly than the other. When do you think they will start?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store