Sand vs. gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Pool filter sand es numero uno. I use it in all my tanks, because it's cheap, easy to work with, and looks pretty nice. I buy mine for about 5 dollars per 50lbs bag at my local pool supply store, I've spent about $30 total to put 2-3" of sand in a 125, 55, and 37.

dtye91

AC Members
Jul 28, 2012
Nice!! I almost bought that today actually but I got a real fine play sand instead it looks real nice too, I didn't know if I could use pool sand or not. Do you have live plants with your sand tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

digitalphrage

oh god how did this get here i am n
Record my vote for sand as well (as compared to gravel).

I find sand to be more aesthetically pleasing than gravel, particularly if it's a natural color, though I do have an appreciation for black sand and the way it accentuates the colors of some fish.

I also think that sand works better for keeping things tidy while also keeping rooted plants healthy. Very tiny particles of detritus and silt lodge down into the sand and provide nutrition for plant roots, but the bigger particles of waste tend to stay on top of the sand where it can be siphoned out of the tank easily. On the other hand, when you siphon gravel, you end up pulling out the big, nasty chunks of gunk as well as the fine particulate matter that would otherwise provide food for rooted plants.

The only downside to sand (versus gravel) is that I have to take a little extra care during water changes so that I minimize how much I disturb the substrate when adding water. If I pour water into the tank too fast, it will blow a depression into the sand and stir up the silt and/or cause sand particles to get into the filter.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I think it depends on the setup, my 10 gallon that has a natural look to it is much better looking with medium rocks and gravel. My 20 gallon has sand and my crayfish likes to dig in it.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Anniegump

AC Members
Jul 15, 2008
I actually like the looks of gravel much better than sand. I have no reason why, it's just what I like :)
I don't know if one is better than the other. It's just looks for me lol. Although I do like the black sand look. Which is why I have it in one of my tanks. But I'm moving everything over to my bigger tank and I don't think I'll transfer the sand with it.

tarquin375

thats no moon, it's a space station
Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
I prefer gravel as well. IMO it's easier to work with as far as cleaning and staying out of the filter. Estes offers some real nice looking natural blends or differing sizes, which is my favorite. I don't like the man made, artificially colored stuff. I had some of that in my first 55, real pretty blue...it removed ALL the barbels from my corys!! If you go gravel, go with natural, smooth blends, looks good and fish friendly.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I prefer sand for all of my tanks except the ones I keep Darters in. The quantity (LOTS!!!) and quality (linear flow) of water flow move it around too much.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Sand because it's easier to clean. But +1 to jpappy...it is what you personally prefer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store