Steel in a tank -- Is it safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thewarning

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
I need to weigh down some dried bamboo rods in my tank. I was going to use Marineland silicone sealer and attach it to a weight. Most fishing sinkers are lead so that's out. I did find some steel ones though. It doesn't say stainless steel on the package just says eco-friendly and steel. I'm worried it could rust or be bad. What are your opinions?

I did find some natural stone sinkers too. They are more expensive but I'll buy it if needed.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Even stainless steel rusts. You would probably be better off attaching it to an inert rock of some sort. Granite is heavy and inert and would be a good choice.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^agreed. Rock is the easiest, and safest, way to go. Make sure you boil it first.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Cast the rods into a base made up of epoxy and gravel. There are commercially available ornaments that are made that way, including one in one of my customer's tanks that sounds very similar to what you're after.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Wonder if a titanium weight would work....or a golfball...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
The fishing sinkers won't hurt your fish. they are only an issue if swallowed so if you use big enough ones so your fish can't fit then in their mouth then I'm sure you're good. Something I read here an AC about a month ago

In fact I believe the metal weights sold at local fish stores are lead like fishing sinkers. They're bendable

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Best way I've found to attach wood to something heavy is to take a piece of slate tile from the hardware store ($.99 for a 12x12 tile). Get some stainless steel screws that would be long enough to go through the slate and into the object you need to weight. Use a masonry bit to drill a hole in the slate (put the slate in a tub of water on top of a piece of scrap wood and drill under water into the slate and through into the wood) make sure the hole is *just* bigger than the screw threads, you want it to just slip right into the hole, not have to be turned, but it should not go through past the screw head. Pre-drill a smaller hole into the object, then screw the slate onto the bottom of the object. If you want it at a different angle, leave the screw a bit loose and angle the piece how you want and use hot glue to create a sort of wedge to hold the piece at the angle you want. It also helps to put a bit of glue over the head of the screw so that it doesn't scratch or put pressure on the bottom of the tank.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
I wouldn't put any piece of metal into one of my tanks... Maybe you could use coral frag putty stuff...
OMG NOOO! if you do, be REALLY CAREFUL with that stuff. I don't know what size tank you have, but that epoxy putty is not safe for tanks 30gallons or less....I used Aquascape in my Biocube a few months ago. Contains way too much telk-makes your water cloudy, messes up your parameters pretty bad...I wrote to the company about it, they replied 'we get probably 50 letters a year complaining that our product wiped out their tank.' I had to do a large WC and lost two fish, stressed my corals out. They refuse to put a warning label on it because it's not enough evidence...just sayin'

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
OMG NOOO! if you do, be REALLY CAREFUL with that stuff. I don't know what size tank you have, but that epoxy putty is not safe for tanks 30gallons or less....I used Aquascape in my Biocube a few months ago. Contains way too much telk-makes your water cloudy, messes up your parameters pretty bad...I wrote to the company about it, they replied 'we get probably 50 letters a year complaining that our product wiped out their tank.' I had to do a large WC and lost two fish, stressed my corals out. They refuse to put a warning label on it because it's not enough evidence...just sayin'

Wow, I have never heard that... Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store