Golden Sailfin Mollies Giving Birth!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheRealKrafty

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
So today I got a new Discus, a beautiful one I might add, and tonight I look at my tank and little baby fish are swimming around! So does anyone know how many babies golden sailfin mollies have?? And how long does it take to get all the babies out??
Molly.jpg

Molly.jpg

Last edited:

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I've heard of mollies giving birth to up to 120 fry, but I would guess the avg. Molly doesn't give birth to that much. The tricky part is keeping the fry alive.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
the fry should take crushed flake food right from the start. mine always did anyway.

how long the labor lasts really depends on the female and also how many fry she is carrying. some females that are only carrying 60 fry will take just as long as one that is carrying 100. depends on how many drops she has had, how old she is, etc.

TheRealKrafty

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012

ladydelaware55

AC Members
Jul 22, 2012
Delaware
Real Name
Laurie
Breeding Balloon Mollies

My tank is a 20 high, the temp is 78.9 and the PH is 7.0.
I also have lost two..:( One female yesterday and a male this morning. My female I thought was pregnant, but seems she was just bloated but why? The male was a young one but didn't seem to be having any problems. I did change the filter to a Marineland Bio~50. That was last Friday. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Laurie

Last edited:

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Good luck with the fry, Realkrafty! Very pretty fish. I have some 24k/gold dust mollies, and very few fry ever live. In the two or so years I've had them, I think 3-4 actually reached adulthood. Right now I have a few in my 10 gallon growout tank, but the adult fish and female betta usually get to them before I can get a chance to save them.

Ladydelaware, there could be all sorts of reasons for your fish loss. The first thing you should do is test your water parameters, do you have a liquid test kit? They are generally more reliable than strips. Since you just changed your filter, you might be re-cycling your tank all over again, with possibly an ammonia spike. Also, a bloated fish could indicate parasites, or possibly a pregnancy gone bad, so many possibilities. So the first thing to do is test the water and work from there. Welcome to the forum. :)

TheRealKrafty

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
Here is a pic of one of the fry, there are 3 with gold heads and black bodies, 4 black ones and 3 silver ones... that I can see lol

Molly Fry.jpg

Molly Fry.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store