I found some live blood worms, in my backyard! Can I feed them to my fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I was poking around in a stale pond in my back yard, and found this little, red wiggling worm! I compared it to some frozen blood worms I had, and they look exactly the same!! Can I feed them to my fish though? They did come from outside, so I'm not sure.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i personally would not feed anything to my fish that i found outdoors in an urban area. pesticides, fertilizers and such are so widely used by people in their yards, and the run off from one yard to another via groundwater, or the breeze blowing said chemicals into your yard is too great.
there is also the chance that the worms from outside could be contaminated with parasites that you are unaware of, and that could spell trouble for your fish.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
The only water that has gotten into it is rain water, purely because its an above ground fountain. You know, like a little structure you just stick in your back yard that looks like a foutain with a pool? I was woried about parasites though, then I also though about how people bring mosquito larva and dalphania from outdoor sources too, so... Its the mainly that.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I did somemore reasearch on them, and decided that I agree with you. Its just to strong of a possibility that they could carry parasites. Darn, I thought that was the perfect treat!!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I get a ton of them at the end of the season. They build little mud tubes on the bottom of my daphnia/mosquito buckets, but they're too messy to harvest on a regular basis.

MissRedneck

Local drunk
Aug 3, 2012
In the sticks
Real Name
stubborn redneck hick
i would not

Canuck

AC Members
Dec 22, 2002
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
I'm no expert on this by any means but parasites generally need to come into contact with the animal they parasitize to complete their life cycle. Unless you are keeping fish in your fountain, I don't believe fish parasites would survive.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Many parasites have multiple hosts for the stages of their lifecycle. A parasite could run its course through worms and birds just waiting for a fish to eat it. That is why I will NEVER harvest or buy wild caught snails. They host EVERYTHING nasty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store