Livebearer in-tank food supply

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Which livebearer gives the most fry in the least amount of time? Mollys, guppies, platys, swordtails, endlers, or leasts killifish (not an actual killifish; just the name)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
are you wondering about having a livebearer food supply in the same tank as the fish that is going to be eating the livebearers? if so, this topic has come up before, and it does not work. the predator fish would eat the livebearers too quickly to allow for a repopulating source.

better to have your livebearers in a separate tank.

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
are you wondering about having a livebearer food supply in the same tank as the fish that is going to be eating the livebearers? if so, this topic has come up before, and it does not work. the predator fish would eat the livebearers too quickly to allow for a repopulating source.<br />
<br />
better to have your livebearers in a separate tank.
No its just a 100gal heavily planted discus setup. And it has java moss.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
ok, so just to clarify, you are wanting to have livebearers in the same tank as the discus that would be eating the livebearers? like i said, having the food supply in the same tank as the fish that are eating the food supply does not work.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Guppies will probably produce the most, but as BFM said----Will not work.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Swordtails have the largest # of fry per drop. Mollies have the largest fry. The time between drops is about the same.

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
ok, so just to clarify, you are wanting to have livebearers in the same tank as the discus that would be eating the livebearers? like i said, having the food supply in the same tank as the fish that are eating the food supply does not work.
No No, you misunderstand. Im talking about keeping 2" guppies, or 6" swordtails (the wild type gets that big) with 3" discus. I know they get 8" (duh) I have other tanks to keep them in once the discus attain a certain size. I have guppies in this tank already and their doing fine im just wondering what the best livebearer is. What I mean is the fry produced will provide a small food supply for my killiefish and rams, and such.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
and what we are trying to say is that the fry produced by the livebearers will get eaten very quickly by the other fish, and this will not work as a revolving 'in-tank live food supply'.

i'm done here. other threads of yours have gone against our proper advice, and you don't seem to listen to what we are saying anyway.

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he's saying is he's trying to hit a sweet spot where the other fish will eat the fry, but not the livebearer parents. In this case, wouldn't they produce an intermittent source of live food for the other fish as long as the parents lived?

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
and what we are trying to say is that the fry produced by the livebearers will get eaten very quickly by the other fish, and this will not work as a revolving 'in-tank live food supply'.

i'm done here. other threads of yours have gone against our proper advice, and you don't seem to listen to what we are saying anyway.
YES! That's exactly what I want! Like I said a misunderstanding... I WANT the fry to be eaten! God was it that hard to say?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store