Betta fry grow-out barracks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
I'm wanting some input on my design. Essentially there will be six of the 7 gallon rubbermaid storage bins (they are roughly 23"L x 17"W x 7"T), two on each shelf of a heavy-duty utility shelving unit. The unit has 5 shelves measuring 24x36 inches. I can fit two bins on each of the three middle shelves and one larger bin on the bottom shelf that will house the pump, heater, and filter media. The return flow (blue) will be made of PVC (whatever size matches up with the pump) except for the lines going into each bin which will be flexible hose.

The drains will be placed high on the sides of each bin and will be a larger diameter than the return flow and made of flexible hose. Rather than having them all join up with a central drain line, I'm just going to have each tank's drain go sepperately to the sump.

Inside each bin will be 12 cells made of plastic craft mesh, thus allowing the system to hold up to 72 betta fry.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^ :eek: what an awesome design. Pretty cool way of setting everything up!

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Sounds like a good idea but they sure do get complicated ??lol I used quart jars when they started fighting lol
I did find that i could get sexual maturtity in under two months by separating the fry by size and changing 50 percent of the water every day . This also tripled the number of fry that were not stunted. Females were kept in 20 longs with a similar routine I certainly WOULDN'T recommend" jars" as housing even with duplictes I was constantly washing lol
The usual number of fry is at least 100 so presents a large problem almost immediately but when they start fighting
I usually culled down to the 50 best. good luck There used to be a method on the internet using "beanie baby boxes set on rain gutter .. Provided housing for 100 and cost under a hundred bucks . good luck gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store