Prefilter ideas for canister filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Hey guys, I'm looking for ideas for prefiltering a couple of Fluval canister filters. I'm setting up a new 40B as a community tank and am doubling up on filters as I usually do.

The first one is probably the easiest. I have a fluval 205 I'm reusing from another setup that got upgraded. I'm thinking of finding sponge to go over the intake(something that has worked great on my AC HOB's) Any suggestions on where to get a good sized round type sponge to use for this?

The second is a little harder. I have an old fluval 203 that I want to use as a secondary filter. But instead of using the existing intake tube(with sponge prefilter added) I want to make a surface skimming intake(similar to what you see for wet/dry type filters). Any suggestions or links even on the best way to do it?

Also I want to alter the return to disperse it for a gentler flow. I was looking at those marineland magnum 350 pro outputs that kind of look like a HOB but are just the waterfall part. I haven't been able to find just that part for sale as a separate item though. So again any ideas or links that might give me fodder for the creative process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Thanks. That mag drive prefilter looks like it would work great.

I've seen the Hagen skimmer before and have thought about it. It's made pretty flimsy and cheap feeling though not to mention it isn't terrible attractive or easy to hide :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store