Low light low humidity Neps?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Are there any really hardy neps that can be kept in the open air in my room. The humidity varies from 20-40% throughout the day. I could possition a light bar next to it or something to provide it light. Would this be sufficient?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
You could try N. Ventricosa. Or even some of the cross-breeds of this one. I'd say it would have the best chance. Misting it could help with the humidity issue, as well as keeping some water around it. I use egg-crate cut to an appropriate size. Putting the plant on that inside a dish allows a small later of water under the pot to help humidify the area without the plant sitting in water.

When you say "low light", it really depends on what you mean. I'd say light would be more important than the humidity in this case. I've tried to grow a couple in several different areas of my house, but outside the rack they seem to suffer a lot. The humidity is about the same, so it has to be a light issue.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Agreed...in terms of humidity, unless your house is bone dry it shouldn't be an issue. My grow rack can sometimes bottom out at 30-40% for extended periods and my N. ventricosa and N. 'Miranda' don't seem to mind one bit so long at the media doesn't dry out.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Do you think having it hung with like a 30 watt light fixture pointed at it and close for 10 hours a day would be sufficient?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Do you think having it hung with like a 30 watt light fixture pointed at it and close for 10 hours a day would be sufficient?
Seems like it should be ok. Just keep in mind that neps are pretty sensitive to heat when they get close to the source, so you don't want to put it too close. Also, 5000 - 6500k is the best range for lighting.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
I was thinking a cfl would be fine. We have 26w bulbs that you can touch after hours of use and its not bad at all. A cool white CFL would do the job perfectly.

is ventricosa a quick growing species?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Given the right conditions... yes.

Sent from my MB865 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com